On Matters Martial and Civil

  • mattfmcti
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 2 8:52 PM
      Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)

      I have been reading the Sawyer translation of various Chinese military
      classics (entitled The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China), and
      was wondering which of these were known to the Japanese in period:

      T'ai Kung's Six Secret Teachings
      Ssu-ma Fa
      Sun-tzu's Art of War
      Wu-tzu
      Wei Liao-tzu
      Three Stratagies of Huang Shih-kung
      Questions and Replies between T'ang T'ai-tsung and Li Wei-kung

      Or, alternatively, do the Japanese have some native literature on
      civil and martial administration? Arigatou!

      -Fujiwara Takaharu
    • mokurai
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 6 11:07 AM
        Well, no offense, but, no kidding. That's the other reason I don't like
        to do it. I'm actually a more of a gentleman than I may sound at times.

        - mokurai

        --
        Cord: "Talking to you is like talking to a wall!"

        Blind Man: "Buddha once sat before a wall, and when he arose, he was enlightened."

        Cord: "Do you compare yourself to Buddha?"

        Blind Man: "No, just the wall."

        - 'Circle of Iron'