Re: my first Hakama

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 2, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Donald Luby <djl@t...> wrote:
      > You could also go with habotai
      > ("china silk") or noil ("raw silk"), both of which I'd recommend in
      > the 10 mm - 14 mm range.
      Habotai is smooth. Noil has little slubs and pills in it and
      sometimes has an odor until it's washed a few times. While modern
      sensibilities sometimes like slubs and imperfections, our ancestors
      would've considered such imperfections a fault. That having been
      said, however, you can often find good deals on "raw silk" in a range
      of solid colors. (Those of you going to Pennsic should look for a
      merchant called Thorny Rose, she usually sells raw silk yardage in
      addition to European clothing.)

      > You can also get away with cotton or linen solids, though I'd
      recommend
      > buying the linen online, since most local fabric stores are way
      > over-priced in that regard for some reason.
      www.fabrics-store.com has a good selection of 100% linen. I use them
      for a lot of my European stuff. www.fabric.com does all kinds of
      fabric (sometimes some really great deals on solid colored dupioni -
      a slubby silk which is much nicer than noil even so).

      > If you want something a bit fancier-looking, it once again comes
      down
      > to price. Most fabric stores have a decent range of cotton calicos

      I have to disagree with Koredono on this one: Most modern cotton
      prints just do not look like period Japanese textiles, generally
      because the prints are smaller. Go to www.iz2.or.jp/english and
      browse both the costume examples and the textile gallery. It'll give
      you an idea of what patterned textiles from period should look like,
      and seeing the garments on the mannequins will give you an idea of
      the scale of the designs. The good news is that if you are so
      inclined, you can use fabric paint to simulate the look of these
      larger period designs. (I did this on an uchigi and I have pics at
      http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/i_am_the_display.htm )

      > I learned the hard way, over the years: if the fabric is right, the
      > clothes won't look right, and now with the advent of the internet,
      > they're readily available to us as they were not before.
      That I will agree with!

      Best of luck in your clothing construction efforts!

      Makiwara
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 29, 2004
        Evening Solveig,

        ::snip::
        >I do think that you should explain your
        >reasoning about raised patterns in pattern
        >welded blades a bit more. Certainly tang
        >inscriptions are always engraved.
        ::end snip::

        I am presently working on several articles that I may wind up being at the core of a class I'm being encouraged to teach on period Nihonto. When I get them done I will also be posting them here for people to have available on the list.

        As far as raised patterns in damascus style steels, or information and examples of pattern welded works, I would recommend reading a couple of books by Dr. Jim Hrislaous (sp) and Derryl Meier. (They used to be available on amazon.com)

        The above mentioned gentlemen in their books answer just about any queston you could come up with on the subject of pattern welding both modern and primitive and do a much better job expalaining it than I could, without having to write a book length post on it. (And they provide step by step pictures showing the various techniques and processes.)

        My articles probably will not cover those tecniques because they would be outside the scope of what I am trying to accomplish. You are certainly correct in your assesment that they were not used on swords in period, I do not think that it is beyond the capability of the smiths, it would be like mounting a glass bead in the striking face of a warhammer, not that it couldn't be done, but why on earth would you want to.

        -Takeda Sanjuichiro