Re: Things I've been dying to know..

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
      Thank you very much for your prompt and succinct answers, Effingham
      sensei!
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 9:42 PM

        >Are sleeves which have the bottoms of the front openings sewn up to
        >form a pocket period?

        Pretty much no.

        >Are koshi-ita period? (if not, all 5 of my hakama need surgery lol)

        Pretty much no.

        >why do some samurai in movies have shaved foreheads and some don't?
        >Does it signify anything?

        The ones who don't have shaven forlocks are either young boys or
        disreputable rakes.

        >What period is the movie "Ran" set in? (if any)

        It's King Lear. However, the armour and castles and that sort of thing
        appear to be drawn from the Sengoku Period. However, someone more
        interested in such questions can answer this one much more reliably than
        I.

        >Some of the men in "Ran" appear to be wearing one-piece
        >Hitatare/Hakama things. Are they really one-piece and if so what are
        >they called?

        It's called matching fabric.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 12:08 AM
          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > >Are sleeves which have the bottoms of the front openings sewn up to
          > >form a pocket period?
          >
          > Pretty much no.
          >
          > >Are koshi-ita period? (if not, all 5 of my hakama need surgery lol)
          >
          > Pretty much no.
          >
          > >why do some samurai in movies have shaved foreheads and some don't?
          > >Does it signify anything?
          >
          > The ones who don't have shaven forlocks are either young boys or
          > disreputable rakes.
          >
          > >What period is the movie "Ran" set in? (if any)
          >
          > It's King Lear. However, the armour and castles and that sort of
          thing
          > appear to be drawn from the Sengoku Period. However, someone more
          > interested in such questions can answer this one much more reliably
          than
          > I.
          >
          > >Some of the men in "Ran" appear to be wearing one-piece
          > >Hitatare/Hakama things. Are they really one-piece and if so what
          are
          > >they called?
          >
          > It's called matching fabric.
          > --
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Thank you for your answers!

          I think what always threw me off about "Ran" was that even though the
          armor was obviously sengoku, the Great lord and his peers/sons all
          wore tachis, which I always heard were used much earlier. Although
          upon reviewing it recently I did notice all the other samurai wore
          later period katana/tanto daisho.

          Saito
        • Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 6:21 AM
            > I think what always threw me off about "Ran" was that even though the
            > armor was obviously sengoku, the Great lord and his peers/sons all
            > wore tachis, which I always heard were used much earlier. Although
            > upon reviewing it recently I did notice all the other samurai wore
            > later period katana/tanto daisho.

            Saito-dono

            If you look through the portraits of various lords of the sengoku and
            at the battle scrolls, you will see that men of rank wore tachi more
            frequently than katana. While wearing a katana/wakizashi did displace
            wearing a tachi/uchi-gatana, it appears to me that the style worked
            its way from the bottom-up and the katana did not completly displace
            the tachi until after Sekigahara.

            Otagiri
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 2:48 PM

              >I think what always threw me off about "Ran" was that even though the
              >armor was obviously sengoku, the Great lord and his peers/sons all
              >wore tachis, which I always heard were used much earlier. Although
              >upon reviewing it recently I did notice all the other samurai wore
              >later period katana/tanto daisho.

              That didn't even make me blink. Tachi are cavalry sabres and there is
              no reason for the either the great lord or his generically named sons
              to have taken up wearing cut down swords. If anything, a tachi as an
              older aristocratic weapon emphasizes the presumed antiquity and general
              signifance of the domain of the central character. Now if the junior
              bushi all were running around with tachi and the big wigs had cut down
              swords, then that would be really weird. You do occasionally see a
              low ranking bushi with a long sword in Japanese films. The background
              story for which is generally that he stole it from someone or had it
              by some other rather interesting means.

              Actually, tachi never completely dissappeared. The thing to remember
              about them is that they are cavalry sabres and are longer than the
              swords worn by infantry. The reason that high ranking buke cut down
              their swords during the Tokugawa period was for convenience while
              walking around edo. Basically, they had to wear a sword to the office
              and a tachi just didn't make it as an accessory for basic business
              day wear.