my first Hakama

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 31, 2004
      I made my first Hakama last night, and I have to say I didn't do too
      bad. I used an old bed sheet to experiment on. The pleats seem to be
      the easiest part. I am going to make my kimono tonight, I hope it
      comes out. for period look what material would be best?

      Thanks for all your help

      Taisho
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 29, 2004
        Evening Solveig,

        ::snip::
        >I do think that you should explain your
        >reasoning about raised patterns in pattern
        >welded blades a bit more. Certainly tang
        >inscriptions are always engraved.
        ::end snip::

        I am presently working on several articles that I may wind up being at the core of a class I'm being encouraged to teach on period Nihonto. When I get them done I will also be posting them here for people to have available on the list.

        As far as raised patterns in damascus style steels, or information and examples of pattern welded works, I would recommend reading a couple of books by Dr. Jim Hrislaous (sp) and Derryl Meier. (They used to be available on amazon.com)

        The above mentioned gentlemen in their books answer just about any queston you could come up with on the subject of pattern welding both modern and primitive and do a much better job expalaining it than I could, without having to write a book length post on it. (And they provide step by step pictures showing the various techniques and processes.)

        My articles probably will not cover those tecniques because they would be outside the scope of what I am trying to accomplish. You are certainly correct in your assesment that they were not used on swords in period, I do not think that it is beyond the capability of the smiths, it would be like mounting a glass bead in the striking face of a warhammer, not that it couldn't be done, but why on earth would you want to.

        -Takeda Sanjuichiro