Re: [SCA-JML] OOP -- Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Andrea Gideon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
      Eva Grammer wrote:

      > Has anyone else read this excellent novel? I haven't been able to put
      > it down, it's very, very good...although it's very OOP.
      >
      > Cynwise

      I read it last spring and loved it. I had just had a baby who was up all
      night and everyone was telling me I needed to nap whenever he did, but that
      book kept me up. I was just thinking about reading it again. I think I'll
      bring it to Pennsic.

      giovanna
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
        Eva Grammer wrote:

        > Has anyone else read this excellent novel? I haven't been able to put
        > it down, it's very, very good...although it's very OOP.

        Umm... It's also VERY fictive.

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000

          I will have to take Baron Edward's word about "Memoirs of a Geisha"
          as I have not actually read the thing. However, my first impressions
          of the thing were rather negative. After a bunch of people descended
          on the Japanese section of a bookstore I was in looking for the thing
          and I told them it was a novel and they should check out best sellers
          or some such thing, I checked out the cover matter and introduction.
          By the time I got through that I was ready to barf and couldn't get
          myself to read the thing. Nothing that I have heard about this novel
          since then has lead me to read it. Incidentally, if you want a
          great Japanese "impersonation" such as the cover blurb yacks about,
          then you should read the one written by Ki no Tsurayuki.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > I will have to take Baron Edward's word about "Memoirs of a Geisha"
            > as I have not actually read the thing. However, my first impressions
            > of the thing were rather negative. After a bunch of people descended
            > on the Japanese section of a bookstore I was in looking for the thing
            > and I told them it was a novel and they should check out best sellers
            > or some such thing, I checked out the cover matter and introduction.
            > By the time I got through that I was ready to barf and couldn't get
            > myself to read the thing. Nothing that I have heard about this novel
            > since then has lead me to read it. Incidentally, if you want a
            > great Japanese "impersonation" such as the cover blurb yacks about,
            > then you should read the one written by Ki no Tsurayuki.

            Actually, you just made me think of something else. There's a new book out
            by Liz Dalby (of Gaijin Geisha fame) called "The Tale of Lady Murasaki".
            Set in Heian Japan, it tells the story of Lady Murasaki, who wrote Genji
            Monogatari.

            All the ink I've seen so far is positive. I recommend it. I've not yet had
            the chance to read it (it's currently fourth down in the pile of "read
            this" books), but I'm looking forward to it.

            Effingham
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
              Baron Edward!

              >Actually, you just made me think of something else. There's a new book out
              >by Liz Dalby (of Gaijin Geisha fame) called "The Tale of Lady Murasaki".
              >Set in Heian Japan, it tells the story of Lady Murasaki, who wrote Genji
              >Monogatari.

              I know! I posted a recommendation for this book when I bought it a couple
              of weeks ago. Since then, I finished reading it, and I still recommend it.
              For those of you not familiar with Dalby. She is the famous anthropologist
              who studied Geisha several decades ago. She is still probably the only
              Westerner to study being a geisha. According to the dust jacket of Dalby's
              book, she was hired as a technical consultant for the film version of
              Memoire of a Geisha. If the director pays attention to her, the movie
              could easily be better than the book version.

              >All the ink I've seen so far is positive. I recommend it. I've not yet had
              >the chance to read it (it's currently fourth down in the pile of "read
              >this" books), but I'm looking forward to it.

              The book is fictive, but it is based in part on the surviving diary fragments
              from the historical Murasaki and is laced with her poetry in transliterated
              and translated classical japanese. Oh yes. She also deals with Kaoru and
              Nioi in the final chapter of the book. (Amusing names. Captain Scent and
              Prince Odor.)

              Now for one of the reasons that I went barf when reading the front matter
              of Memoire of a Geisha. The author of that book dissed Dalby. He says that
              he consulted her when writing and early manuscript, but later met a real
              Geisha and threw out all that he had written. Yack! Yack! Yack! I am not
              convinced that he ever met a Geisha (except for possibly Dalby). I am
              confident that Dalby met dozens.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > Now for one of the reasons that I went barf when reading the front matter
                > of Memoire of a Geisha. The author of that book dissed Dalby. He says that
                > he consulted her when writing and early manuscript, but later met a real
                > Geisha and threw out all that he had written. Yack! Yack! Yack! I am not
                > convinced that he ever met a Geisha (except for possibly Dalby). I am
                > confident that Dalby met dozens.

                And the great irony is that the geisha he attributes most of his work to, and
                whom he says was much of his inspiration, has publicly come out against his book
                as trash, and total fiction unlike anything based on reality in her experience.

                Effingham
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
                  Baron Edward!

                  >And the great irony is that the geisha he attributes most of his work to, and
                  >whom he says was much of his inspiration, has publicly come out
                  >against his book
                  >as trash, and total fiction unlike anything based on reality in her
                  >experience.

                  Thank you for that note. That appears to confirm that he did meet a Geisha.
                  Of course, it does also condemn the book.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                • Eva Grammer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
                    OK, OK, so I don't have the best eye when choosing reading matter.  I still like the book, no matter how accurate it is.  But I've got the one you recommend by Dalby on my "to buy" list also.

                    Cynwise

                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

[...]

                    You can get paid for reading emails!  Check this link out:

                    http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/849085