The amazing flipflopping persona..

  • Justin Flatt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
      Konbanwa.

      I have sort of an interesting dillemma, and I was
      wondering if anyone else ran into it, or has dealt
      with it themselves. When I started in the SCA, I took
      immediately to fencing. As such, I took a late period
      english persona. Lately I've been considering heavy
      fighting, and as a japanese cultures minor, I've
      obviously got a vested interest in that culture. I'd
      like to do a heavy persona. I suppose my dilemma lies
      in the confusion having two persona's can create. Is
      it best to stick with one persona, and come up with a
      plausible reason for an englishman to have japanese
      garb and armor, or should I completely come up with a
      new persona for that aspect of my game?

      Thanks,
      Robert

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
        IMO two historically accurate personas is infinitely better than one
        historically impossible one.

        I've seen others with multiple personas and it was not confusing,
        although I think it helps if you treat one as your "main" persona and
        pull the others out on special occasions.

        Saito
      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
          > Konbanwa.
          >
          > I have sort of an interesting dillemma, and I was
          > wondering if anyone else ran into it, or has dealt
          > with it themselves. When I started in the SCA, I took
          > immediately to fencing. As such, I took a late period
          > english persona. Lately I've been considering heavy
          > fighting, and as a japanese cultures minor, I've
          > obviously got a vested interest in that culture. I'd
          > like to do a heavy persona. I suppose my dilemma lies
          > in the confusion having two persona's can create. Is
          > it best to stick with one persona, and come up with a
          > plausible reason for an englishman to have japanese
          > garb and armor, or should I completely come up with a
          > new persona for that aspect of my game?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Robert

          It is plausible for a very late period Englishman to have Japanese
          armour - such armours were sent to Europe as gifts and curios. It is
          not plausible that an Englishman would fight in it.

          My suggestion is two personas.

          I am in the beginning stages of sketching a German/Bohemian persona to
          study and practise the fechtbuche. His name will be ... "Odagar." That
          should make it easier for my friends. :)

          Otagiri
        • Justin Flatt
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
            --- Scott <sdsweetland@...> wrote:

            > I've seen others with multiple personas and it was
            > not confusing,
            > although I think it helps if you treat one as your
            > "main" persona and
            > pull the others out on special occasions.

            What sort of occasion? Obviously heavy fighting.
            Courts and the like?

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
              --- Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

              > It is plausible for a very late period Englishman to
              > have Japanese
              > armour - such armours were sent to Europe as gifts
              > and curios. It is
              > not plausible that an Englishman would fight in it.

              I hadn't thought of that. Hung up on the getting of
              it, and not the using of it.

              Especially since the english persona is also aboard a
              ship.

              > My suggestion is two personas.
              >
              > I am in the beginning stages of sketching a
              > German/Bohemian persona to
              > study and practise the fechtbuche. His name will be
              > ... "Odagar." That
              > should make it easier for my friends. :)

              :) Absolutely. I wonder about coming up with something
              that sounds like Robert, though...

              > Otagiri

              Robert

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Maria
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
                > Is
                > it best to stick with one persona, and come up with a
                > plausible reason for an englishman to have japanese
                > garb and armor, or should I completely come up with a
                > new persona for that aspect of my game?

                Robert-dono:

                Speaking only from my experience, I would advise coming up with a new
                Japanese persona and just have two personas. It can enhance your SCA
                experience (and okay, confuse your friends, too, but they'll get used to
                it!). Take your time and have fun exploring. <g> In the meantime, play
                English and talk with Japanese personas that you meet at events.

                Other people may have other advice, of course. This is just how I have
                approached the matter.

                Ki no Torahime/ Tace of Foxele

                Riverwatch, Calontir
              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Justin Flatt <roninkenshi@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > I suppose my dilemma lies
                  > in the confusion having two persona's can create. Is
                  > it best to stick with one persona, and come up with a
                  > plausible reason for an englishman to have japanese
                  > garb and armor, or should I completely come up with a
                  > new persona for that aspect of my game?

                  Hello, my name is Makiwara and I have Multiple Persona Disorder. In
                  fact, I'm supposed to be the secondary one. Jehanne de Wodeford
                  doesn't let me out much. Then again, she LIKES to go to those nasty
                  camping events and sleep in the dirt like a bushi from Hokkaido. ;->

                  There's no reason you can't do more than one persona. It can be a
                  challenge, but that's the fun part.

                  Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it.

                  Makiwara
                • Justin Flatt
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
                    --- Maria <tace@...> wrote:

                    > Robert-dono:
                    >
                    > Speaking only from my experience, I would advise
                    > coming up with a new
                    > Japanese persona and just have two personas. It can
                    > enhance your SCA
                    > experience (and okay, confuse your friends, too, but
                    > they'll get used to
                    > it!).

                    Thank you, for the advice. It adds to the general
                    consensus, and frankly, makes my life easier. :p

                    > Take your time and have fun exploring. <g>
                    > In the meantime, play
                    > English and talk with Japanese personas that you
                    > meet at events.

                    I'm rather lucky in the fact that I live near Kitakaze
                    Tatsu Raito-sama. He's been most gracious so far in
                    answering my questions.

                    > Other people may have other advice, of course. This
                    > is just how I have
                    > approached the matter.

                    And advice is absolutely what I'm here for. I truely
                    appreciate so much of it so quickly. I'm a little
                    intimidated by jumping into a persona from a culture
                    that's relatively unselected among the SCA populous.
                    The clothing in particular intimidates me.

                    > Ki no Torahime/ Tace of Foxele
                    >
                    > Riverwatch, Calontir

                    Robert

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
                      Noble Cousin!

                      Greetings from Solveig! Well, you could portray an English seaman who
                      somehow gets shipwrecked in Japan ca 1600. This is plausable, as it
                      actually happened. However, please, please, please, do not use Clavel's
                      novel for documentation.

                    • mokurai
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 30, 2004
                        Justin Flatt wrote:

                        >What sort of occasion? Obviously heavy fighting.
                        >Courts and the like?
                        >
                        >Robert

                        Well, for my own part, I have the long-running dilemma of having a wife
                        who is not Japanese. She does play Japanese sometimes and does enjoy the
                        garb, food and other aspects, but it is not her passion like it is
                        mine. However, she has a secondary persona that is Indian which i think
                        she is growing to enjoy more and more and she "brings it out" for hot
                        weather, or occasions like Indian cultural activities (she has been
                        studying the temple dancing a bit). This has inspired me to trace my
                        Buddhist roots waaaay back and try my hand at developing an early period
                        Indian persona so that I can play with her on her turf for a change. It
                        is a nice change of pace for me and it is very gratifying that I can
                        honor her in this way. So, occasion is in the eye of the beholder. I
                        would say that, in general, special occasions would be those where the
                        alternate persona better fits the context of an event/activity you care
                        about (that may mean rattan fighting for you). Or any time you want to
                        shake people up a bit, of course.

                        Cheers,

                        - mokurai

                        --
                        "The quieter you become,the more you can hear." - Ram Dass
                      • Takedasama@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 30, 2004

                          wrote:
                          > I suppose my dilemma lies
                          > in the confusion having two persona's can create. Is
                          > it best to stick with one persona, and come up with a
                          > plausible reason for an englishman to have japanese
                          > garb and armor, or should I completely come up with a
                          > new persona for that aspect of my game?

                          Hello, my name is Makiwara and I have Multiple Persona Disorder. In
                          fact, I'm supposed to be the secondary one. Jehanne de Wodeford
                          doesn't let me out much. Then again, she LIKES to go to those nasty
                          camping events and sleep in the dirt like a bushi from Hokkaido. ;->

                          There's no reason you can't do more than one persona. It can be a
                          challenge, but that's the fun part.

                          Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it.

                          Makiwara

                          OR, many Japanese believe in reincarnation.
                          Have your "other" persona be later in Period than
                          your Japanese persona.
                          Hence, you would be the same soul. : )

                          I concur with Makiwara, have fun!

                          -Takeda Yoshinaka

                        • Solveig
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2005

                            >OR, many Japanese believe in reincarnation.
                            >Have your "other" persona be later in Period than
                            >your Japanese persona.
                            >Hence, you would be the same soul. : )

                            The other order will work as well. However, you do risk being
                            someone's snauzer.

                            | trash by my email filters. |