Re: [SCA-JML] literature

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30 11:59 AM
      vskylinev@... wrote:

      > with all this talk of books, i thought i would throw another question into
      > the mix.
      >
      > Can anyone recommend any good historical fiction books that accurately depict
      > life in japan?

      Historical FICTON?

      The only one that I can recommend is "The Signore" by Tsuji. It's available from
      Amazon.com in paperback from Kodansha Int'l.

      Ultimately, I've yet to find a historical novel set in Japan that rings true for
      me. Even Shogun, which first got me into the Japanese thing two decades ago, is
      not unreadable to me.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30 1:36 PM
        Baron Edward!

        What about Japanese historical fiction such as Taiko? It's not so bad,
        and at least introduces folks to a modern Japanese take on Japanese
        history. (Note to readers. Taiko is available in translation.)
        Yes. Japanese literature is more fun to read in Japanese and period
        documents are always more reliable than modern fiction, but there is
        some stuff out there in translation. Incidentally, for those of you
        interested in a Chinese novel, read Monkey. Songoku is a perennial
        favorite in East Asia. Unfortunately, Monkey is not only a fantasy,
        if I recall correctly it was written in the 17th century. However,
        it is fun to read.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30 2:47 PM
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Baron Edward!
          >
          > What about Japanese historical fiction such as Taiko?

          I forgot about Taiko! Good call. Actually, most anyting by Yoshikawa is
          good. Only Taiko and Musashi have been translated, though, I think. Maybe
          I'll translate Masakado someday. <G>

          > Incidentally, for those of you
          > interested in a Chinese novel, read Monkey. Songoku is a perennial
          > favorite in East Asia. Unfortunately, Monkey is not only a fantasy,
          > if I recall correctly it was written in the 17th century.

          That is a fun story. If you want to read classical Chinese drama that's not
          so fantastic, however, you can't do better than The Romance of the Three
          Kingdoms.

          Effingham
        • markejag@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 2:03 PM
            In a message dated 7/30/00 1:57:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ajbryant@... writes:

            << > Can anyone recommend any good historical fiction books that accurately
            depict
            > life in japan?

            Historical FICTON?

            The only one that I can recommend is "The Signore" by Tsuji. It's available
            from
            Amazon.com in paperback from Kodansha Int'l. >>

            'The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon' (Translations from the Asian Classics) by
            Sei Shonagon, et al (Paperback ) is still available in English at Amazon.com
            for $19.00. Early Heian period (?) about court life in Japan from a woman's
            perspective.

            Fumio
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31 3:15 PM
              markejag@... wrote:

              > 'The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon' (Translations from the Asian Classics) by
              > Sei Shonagon, et al (Paperback ) is still available in English at Amazon.com
              > for $19.00. Early Heian period (?) about court life in Japan from a woman's
              > perspective.

              Good book. Although I think that Morris' translation is one of his less
              inspired works, I'm afraid.

              I was under the impression that the querant was asking about modern literature
              on Japan.

              BTW, what's the schedule with the camp? When is the siter-master/mistress going
              to arrive at Pennsic? I plan on arriving this Saturday evening, so I'd like to
              know about setting up and so forth.

              Effingham
            • markejag@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
                ajbryant@... writes:

                << BTW, what's the schedule with the camp? When is the siter-master/mistress
                going to arrive at Pennsic? I plan on arriving this Saturday evening, so I'd
                like to know about setting up and so forth. >>

                Not sure, as I won't be there until the 12th, but I heard that the Juro
                (Haakon Oaktall) and/or the Hamamoto (Alanna) will be there Friday for the
                land grab and should have the clan diagram for the whole weekend.

                Fumio
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
                  markejag@... wrote:

                  > ajbryant@... writes:
                  >
                  > << BTW, what's the schedule with the camp? When is the siter-master/mistress
                  > going to arrive at Pennsic? I plan on arriving this Saturday evening, so I'd
                  > like to know about setting up and so forth. >>
                  >
                  > Not sure, as I won't be there until the 12th, but I heard that the Juro
                  > (Haakon Oaktall) and/or the Hamamoto (Alanna) will be there Friday for the
                  > land grab and should have the clan diagram for the whole weekend.

                  Wunnerful! Thanks.

                  (We'll be looking for you...)