Ashigaru - Foot Samurai - Packing List

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2004
      Onegaishimasu:

      The following is a suggested list of items that could be found carried
      by an ashigaru or low ranking samurai on the march. By design, this
      list is a heavier on the armour than historical accuracy dictacts due
      to the desire to meet SCA armour requirements.

      I would be very interested in your comments as to the correctness and
      completeness of the list. Have I included items that I should not? Are
      there items I have overlooked? And does anyone want to go hiking at
      Estrella?

      Arigato
      Otagiri

      =======================

      Marching List
      2004 07 24
      --------------
      - worn items -
      --------------
      [ ] fundoshi
      [ ] yoroi shitagi
      [ ] obi
      [ ] hakama/momohiki
      [ ] tabi
      [ ] kiahan
      [ ] waraji (2)
      [ ] suneate
      [ ] haidate
      [ ] kote
      [ ] yoroi
      [ ] uwa-obi
      [ ] nodowa
      [ ] tenugui (head cloth)

      --------------
      - head gear -
      --------------
      [ ] tenugui (head cloth)
      [ ] jingasa
      | -or-
      [ ] kabuto/menpo

      --------------
      - weapons -
      --------------
      [ ] katana
      [ ] wakizashi
      [ ] koshiate
      ---------
      [ ] yari
      ---------
      [ ] yumi
      [ ] string
      [ ] ebira/ya
      [ ] yugake

      --------------
      - toilet -
      --------------
      [ ] kyouji (toothpicks)
      [ ] kushi/kogai (comb/hairpick)
      [ ] chonmage himo (hair tie)
      [ ] utility knife
      [ ] tissue

      --------------
      - rations -
      --------------
      [ ] ration belt
      [ ] suitou (canteen)
      [ ] fire steel (?)
      [ ] hashi
      [ ] bowl/cup

      --------------
      - bedding -
      --------------
      [ ] straw mat
      [ ] fusuma/kakebuton? (bedding)

      --------------
      - rain gear -
      --------------
      [ ] kasa
      [ ] mino/kappa
      | -or-
      [ ] haori
      | -or-
      [ ] happi

      --------------
      - sca gear -
      --------------
      [ ] elbows
      [ ] sports cup
      [ ] knees
      [ ] gauntlets
      [ ] green card
      [ ] blue card
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
        SR Turnbull has published a list of items that an ashigaru was
        expected to carry on the march in The Samurai Sourcebook (ISBN
        1-85409-523-4). This list is from the Edo period Shutsubi nimotsu
        kantei (Regulations for baggage transport).

        kawa gusoku (leather armour)
        kimono
        katabira (light kimono)
        haori