Re: alternate personae

  • keivn Mason
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 28, 2000
      > It was expressed to me by several people that no one would
      make a Japanese
      > Laurel in the West, as they already had one (Senkyu) and that
      was the quota...

      there is hope for Japanese personas in the West, all the
      Laurel's that I know personally have welcomed the Idea of me
      having a Japanese persona and a Japanese household (that
      now has over 18 members) . They have also opened up their
      homes to help us Sew our Japanese garb, well that's is only 3
      laurels. But it shows that there are people that are not only open
      minded but willing to make a difference.

      Kevin C mason
    • markejag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 28, 2000
        << It was expressed to me by several people that no one would make a Japanese
        Laurel in the West, as they already had one (Senkyu) and that was the
        quota... >>

        The same sentiment is held in AEthelmearc and from the last I heard from the
        East.

        Kusunoki Fumio
        (OL from the East who now resides in AEthelmearc)
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 28, 2000

          I choose to disbelieve this talk of the impossibility of a Japanese
          Laurel in either the East Kingdom or AEthelmearc. First. Those who
          are worthy candidates for the accolade should be held forth to their
          majesties. Second. It might be nice if a Japanese monarch were to
          ascend the throne now and then. Third. Regardless of any talk one
          way or another, those who subscribe to this list should hold fast
          to the inherent worth of Japanese and other pre-1601 research. This
          business about the ineligibility of Japanese research only
          diminishes our Society. Why is this? Because, it says that fantasy
          is more important in determining who and what is held forth as
          arts, sciences and research than actual scholarship. Further, it
          casts a shadow not just upon Japnese and other East Asian research,
          but upon all non-Anglo-Norman research. Where does the line between
          acceptable and unacceptable logically fall for the Laurel? At the
          border between scholarship and wonton fantasy. We as a Society are
          better than that. And, are royalty and our peers should be better
          than that as well.

          ><< It was expressed to me by several people that no one would make a Japanese
          > Laurel in the West, as they already had one (Senkyu) and that was the
          >quota... >>
          >
          >The same sentiment is held in AEthelmearc and from the last I heard from the
          >East.
          >
          >Kusunoki Fumio
          >(OL from the East who now resides in AEthelmearc)

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • markejag@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
            Lady Solveig wrote;
            << This business about the ineligibility of Japanese research only
            diminishes our Society. Why is this? Because, it says that fantasy is more
            important>>

            Your logical assumptions hold merit, but we are dealing with human nature and
            preconceived notions. Such logic goes unremanded. Because it is extremely
            difficult to change behavioral patterns and to dissuade traditional values,
            as perceived by individuals within the SCA, who vehemently declare that to
            allow non-European personae's diminishes the society.
            Banter if you must, but if you cannot change these behavior patterns in all
            of these gentles, then your inclinations are fruitless.
            Better time is spend pursuing your art, science and research and making your
            SCA experience a pleasure to yourself and those around you.
            Knowing that such indignation's exist, helps only to explain the lack of
            recognition. Ultimately the personnel satisfaction of recreating Medieval
            Japan is our only reward.

            Fumio
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
              Fumio Sensei!

              I agree that it is good to pursue one's art. I just do not believe that
              we should be discouraging one another. However, if you must submit the
              notion that the Order of the Laurel is unattainable, then I suggest that
              the alternative is to pursue the path of the White Scarf. I do not believe
              that that separate eveolution of the White Scarf has beneifited the
              Society. However, if you are convinced that the Laurel is not an option
              (and it is certainly a more approriate option for Japanese research than
              it is for fencing), then I suggest that devising a new order (and this
              can be done by elevating a private guild system much as the fencers did
              about ten years ago) is perhaps an option to be pursued.

              >Lady Solveig wrote;
              ><< This business about the ineligibility of Japanese research only
              >diminishes our Society. Why is this? Because, it says that fantasy is more
              >important>>
              >
              >Your logical assumptions hold merit, but we are dealing with human nature and
              >preconceived notions. Such logic goes unremanded. Because it is extremely
              >difficult to change behavioral patterns and to dissuade traditional values,
              >as perceived by individuals within the SCA, who vehemently declare that to
              >allow non-European personae's diminishes the society.
              >Banter if you must, but if you cannot change these behavior patterns in all
              >of these gentles, then your inclinations are fruitless.
              >Better time is spend pursuing your art, science and research and making your
              >SCA experience a pleasure to yourself and those around you.
              >Knowing that such indignation's exist, helps only to explain the lack of
              >recognition. Ultimately the personnel satisfaction of recreating Medieval
              >Japan is our only reward.
              >
              >Fumio

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
                Baron Edward!

                >Preaching to the choir, Ly Solveig. <G>

                Yes! Indeed! Baron Edward, I believe that the choir sometimes needs
                preaching to. Most especially when it is spreading discouraging
                gossip amongst itself.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Noble Cousins!
                  >
                  > I choose to disbelieve this talk of the impossibility of a Japanese
                  > Laurel in either the East Kingdom or AEthelmearc. First. Those who
                  > are worthy candidates for the accolade should be held forth to their
                  > majesties.

                  <snippage>

                  Preaching to the choir, Ly Solveig. <G>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29, 2000
                    markejag@... wrote:

                    > Ultimately the personnel satisfaction of recreating Medieval
                    > Japan is our only reward.

                    Bingo. (Not the province!)

                    That's why I've been doing this for over 20 years.

                    Effingham (Feelin' old)