Re: Re: Camping and Tansu and Brushes

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2004
      >From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig!
      >

      >It really depends on the local human ecology. If people are living nomadic
      >or semi nomadic lives especially in unforrested regions, then they are
      >likely to live in tents.

      True, there are tipis, and the Mongol and Arab cultures. This seemed to
      be also due to a lack of trees and brush in the areas that these people
      lived in. Considering the size of China and the rest of Asia, I would
      still say that they are rare because usually there are far fewer nomads
      in a given area when compared with farming cultures.

      >>Err, most of Europe in the early days, parts of the Americas, other
      >>parts of Asia. If you have lots of trees, you often get log homes.
      >>Though the English settlers in America didn't figure that one out
      >>without help.
      >>

      >Are you really sure of that?

      Which part? I'm sure the English were clueless about log cabins at
      first. I've seen drawings and recreations of the early English
      settlements in America. They copied stuff directly from home. Even their
      axes were a bit wimpy for North America. I remember reading about log
      homes that the native Americans made when I was on a meso-American kick,
      there were traditional log cabins as well as some of the other styles of
      construction. My memory is bit rustier there.

      >There are lots of different sorts of wooden
      >structures built by neolithic cultures. For example. Northwest coastal
      >Indians in the Americas built split plank lodges. Some areas developed
      >half-timbered structures. Lots of cultures developed adobe construction.

      Yes, some of the Indian cultures were fairly advanced in terms of
      construction and agriculture. I'm not sure about the relationship to
      clueless English settlers is. England exported several types of people
      to the new world early on. Gentlemen, usually worthless, religious nuts,
      not always practical types and tradesmen who weren't making it back at
      home ^_^

      >Actually, I was thinking of sticks. You see these sorts of structures
      >in various Noh plays and similar venues. You can see one in the Kurosawa
      >movie "Throne of Blood".

      That would be cool for an encampment, way cool! Especially if you had a
      wooded area you could use. You could thatch it with branches with the
      leaves still on. I recently purchased Onmyoji, a few special effect
      types combined with some good costumers could have lots of fun with this
      concept!

      >Cloth is used for a variety of purposes in Japan. You especially see
      >this for local toting such as the once pervasive furoshiki. However,
      >tansu are thoroughly Muromachi.

      Yep, I have some pictures of picnics with pretty much nothing but tansu
      and a few cloths. If you can buy it, you could use paulwonia since it's
      light weight and apparently has good weathering properties. There are
      also other materials as well that would be good.

      >>>Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:
      >>>
      >>>http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm
      >>

      >Actually, the best place I have found for Japanese paper in North America
      >is Japan Paper in Toronto, Ontario. About as good as you would find most
      >places in Japan. They have a truly impressive selection. Their one deficit
      >is that I do not believe that they sell bulk high grade hanshi.

      Yes, I've known about them for a long time, I do go up and drool on
      their website from time to time. OAS is a bit cheaper than these folks
      though. I have to admit I don't mail order much since my first teacher
      imported paper from Japan for us and my second teacher had a friend who
      found several TONs of handmade paper in a warehouse in China. Since I'm
      the young punk in the group, a mere 47, I unloaded most of it from the
      multiple pallets it came on. While it may not be a lifetime supply it
      might be a decades worth. I bought only 300 4'x5' sheets of it though
      ^_^ Doesn't count other paper I've collected over the years though.

      >Brushes are another matter. Art supply stores that I have encountered
      >do not have a very good selection of brushes.

      I would say that the vast majority of stores in America have a truly
      crappy selection, not surprising, how many sumi-e painters are there
      here anyway? The best selection, at a high price, is one store in San
      Francisco. You tell the owner what you need it for and he will sell you
      the perfect brush for a perfectly high price. OAS's prices are moderate
      and the owner is an artist. If you call them and ask, they will
      recommend a brush for your needs. Calling Japan is usually less than
      productive for most of us!

      >As for miscellaneous calligraphy frobs, those I have not even tried to find in North America.

      They are here, just rare. I have one giant lamb hair that I paid a dear
      price for that my calligraphy teacher borrows in class.

      >Oriental Art Supply seems to have a better selection than most North
      >American outlets, but they do not give the sort of information about
      >their brushes that is given about the brushes on the Japanese brush
      >sites. The Japanese tell you dimensions, much better information about
      >the appropriate use of the brush, the type of hair used in its construction,
      >and stuff like that.

      I agree, they are missing the really long and skinny brushes and the
      longer calligraphy brushes. OAS doesn't list the brush materials, but
      for novices I'm not sure how informative adding wolf or lamb to the
      description would be. They are good brushes and very reasonably priced.
      When you order from Japan, prepare for sticker shock!

      Jim