Re: [SCA-JML] Tansu and Period Japanese Food

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 2, 2004

      >Firstly, can anyone tell me how I can find a copy of the text of the
      >"Ryori Monogatari" in English?

      I know of two independent translation projects of Ryori Monogatari. To the
      best of my knowledge, neither is complete. I know of three different versions
      of Ryori Monogatari printed in Japanese if you are interested.

      >And secondly, re Tansu for camp use, can I suggest "hitsu" instead,
      >these are definitely in period and ideally suited for field use.

      The hitsu depicted in Kodansha Kogojiten (p. 738) is distinctly different
      from the boxes shown in the Muromachi illustration and which resemble the
      tabidansu that I am familiar with from the tea cult.

      >Effectively they are a very simple lidded chest, without drawers and
      >unlike their Chinese equivalents they also do not have any legs,

      The illustration in Kodansha Kogojiten depicts hitsu as short chests
      with a top lid and equiped with legs. According to the definitions
      given in Daijirin, Kodansha Kogojiten, and Shinsen Kogojiten published
      by Shogakukan, the top lid is the distinguishing feature of the hitsu.
      I believe that the dansu is distinguished by a front lid. Kogorin does
      claim that the hitsu has several forms and that gives a quotation from
      Genji Monogatari.

      >and
      >copper fittings are optional. This makes them relatively easy to
      >reproduce. Sengoku ones have the well known iron loops for carrying on a
      >pole by a pair of porters, which I can never seem to find when I need
      >them:-)

      Due to the structural organization of the hitsu, you pretty much need to
      carry the things on a pole with two porters. In compraison, the dansu
      can be secured to your back.

    • Solveig
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 3, 2004
        Ii Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig!

        > Tamago sushi: scrambled egg on rice

        It's more of an omlet or a folded crepe. I learned how to make it once
        many years ago. There is even a specialized pan for it.