[SCA-JML] Re: Tansu and brushes

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004

      >Wooden nails are still used here and in Japan for old fashioned goods.

      Yes indeed. Wooden pegs are used. However, their use does change the
      constuction techniques a bit.

      >Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:
      >
      >http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm

      Actually, the best place I have found for Japanese paper in North America
      is Japan Paper in Toronto, Ontario. About as good as you would find most
      places in Japan. They have a truly impressive selection. Their one deficit
      is that I do not believe that they sell bulk high grade hanshi.

      Brushes are another matter. Art supply stores that I have encountered
      do not have a very good selection of brushes. As for miscellaneous
      calligraphy frobs,
      those I have not even tried to find in North America.

      Oriental Art Supply seems to have a better selection than most North
      American outlets, but they do not give the sort of information about
      their brushes that is given about the brushes on the Japanese brush
      sites. The Japanese tell you dimensions, much better information about
      the appropriate use of the brush, the type of hair used in its construction,
      and stuff like that.

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
        That may be, but there is the problem for a number of us that we do not
        read Japanese. I looked at the sites you recommended, but would be
        completely lost as they don't even offer an English translation. I
        know...I should take the time to learn Japanese, but there are a number
        of other things I'm trying to do...and there are only so many hours in a
        day. One of those...which I think I forgot to tell you folks...is that
        I'm finally employed. It's a temp-to-perm job, but looks good to go
        permanent in September. I'm working on a contract with the National
        Archives to write documentation for an enhancement of their online
        ordering Web site.

        Kiri

        Solveig wrote:

        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > >Wooden nails are still used here and in Japan for old fashioned goods.
        >
        > Yes indeed. Wooden pegs are used. However, their use does change the
        > constuction techniques a bit.
        >
        > >Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:
        > >
        > >http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm
        >
        > Actually, the best place I have found for Japanese paper in North America
        > is Japan Paper in Toronto, Ontario. About as good as you would find most
        > places in Japan. They have a truly impressive selection. Their one deficit
        > is that I do not believe that they sell bulk high grade hanshi.
        >
        > Brushes are another matter. Art supply stores that I have encountered
        > do not have a very good selection of brushes. As for miscellaneous
        > calligraphy frobs,
        > those I have not even tried to find in North America.
        >
        > Oriental Art Supply seems to have a better selection than most North
        > American outlets, but they do not give the sort of information about
        > their brushes that is given about the brushes on the Japanese brush
        > sites. The Japanese tell you dimensions, much better information about
        > the appropriate use of the brush, the type of hair used in its
        > construction,
        > and stuff like that.
        > --
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
        > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fc1ho8/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1088923889/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visitors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1>

        Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
        knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
        -- C.E. Lawrence

      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004

          >From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
          >
          >That may be, but there is the problem for a number of us that we do not
          >read Japanese.

          Even if you do, there's a fair amount of special vocabulary that one has
          to know to make an intelligent choice. My current teachers are Chinese
          so, they don't know the Japanese words. My previous teacher moved to
          Hawaii, when I was studying with her, my Japanese wasn't really good
          enough to understand much of the specialty talk. I learned all of the
          elementary strokes with one brush, so all you need is one to start with,
          adding others as you go along. Though I'm not immune to the lure of
          buying more art goodies!

          >I know...I should take the time to learn Japanese, but there are a number
          >of other things I'm trying to do...and there are only so many hours in a
          >day.

          Know the feeling, for those who are interested in such things, I've put
          up a couple of websites, there not very good, but they have some good
          content not generated by me.

          Needs update, I have some better books to recommend now:
          http://home.comcast.net/~ronin_engineer/sumi.html

          Also needs some updating, but a fair number of painting examples,
          explanations in English:
          http://home.comcast.net/%7Easaca/index.html

          >One of those...which I think I forgot to tell you folks...is that
          >I'm finally employed. It's a temp-to-perm job, but looks good to go
          >permanent in September.

          Cool! Oh National Archives... Might have some really cool stuff.