[SCA-JML] Re: Camping and Tansu

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004

      >I would say tents are far more exotic than wood and bamboo.

      It really depends on the local human ecology. If people are living nomadic
      or semi nomadic lives especially in unforrested regions, then they are
      likely to live in tents.

      > >Japan is one
      >>of the few parts of the world where people built log houses.
      > >
      >Err, most of Europe in the early days, parts of the Americas, other
      >parts of Asia. If you have lots of trees, you often get log homes.
      >Though the English settlers in America didn't figure that one out
      >without help.

      Are you really sure of that? There are lots of different sorts of wooden
      structures built by neolithic cultures. For example. Northwest coastal
      Indians in the Americas built split plank lodges. Some areas developed
      half-timbered structures. Lots of cultures developed adobe construction.

      >the onibaba? I was referring to the movie and not hags in general.
      >However straw huts are very common in many agrarian societies, even in
      >the US! We built many straw bale homes back about a 100 years ago.

      Actually, I was thinking of sticks. You see these sorts of structures
      in various Noh plays and similar venues. You can see one in the Kurosawa
      movie "Throne of Blood".

      >Second word cloth! Though making tansu would be fun.

      Cloth is used for a variety of purposes in Japan. You especially see
      this for local toting such as the once pervasive furoshiki. However,
      tansu are thoroughly Muromachi. There are emaki showing bands of
      bushi with wooden tabidansu strapped to their backs.