Log cabins

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      I'm not sure I understand. I've seen manuscripts/paintings of European log cabins (15thC+), that aren't that different from colonial versions. I was not aware that many Indians lived in log cabins at the time of settlement. Did they actually live in them, or did they tell the Europeans how to build what they had never experienced? ;-) IIRC, the Iriquois lived above the ground on ~~~stilt homes (can't remember the right word), but they didn't equate to log framed buildings, did they?

      Alcyoneus

      >Err, most of Europe in the early days, parts of the Americas, other
      parts of Asia. If you have lots of trees, you often get log homes.
      Though the English settlers in America didn't figure that one out
      without help.