Re: Tansu and brushes

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >

      >Portable tansu made out of wood are to the best of my knowledge quite period.
      >Baskets used in a variety of ways are also quite period. However, the one
      >appearing in the first poem in the Manyoshu was probably a hand carried affair
      >used for gathering. The main issue in box construction is the relative scarcity
      >of iron nails in Japan.

      Wooden nails are still used here and in Japan for old fashioned goods.

      Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:

      http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm

      Jim
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004

        >Wooden nails are still used here and in Japan for old fashioned goods.

        Yes indeed. Wooden pegs are used. However, their use does change the
        constuction techniques a bit.

        >Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:
        >
        >http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm

        Actually, the best place I have found for Japanese paper in North America
        is Japan Paper in Toronto, Ontario. About as good as you would find most
        places in Japan. They have a truly impressive selection. Their one deficit
        is that I do not believe that they sell bulk high grade hanshi.

        Brushes are another matter. Art supply stores that I have encountered
        do not have a very good selection of brushes. As for miscellaneous
        calligraphy frobs,
        those I have not even tried to find in North America.

        Oriental Art Supply seems to have a better selection than most North
        American outlets, but they do not give the sort of information about
        their brushes that is given about the brushes on the Japanese brush
        sites. The Japanese tell you dimensions, much better information about
        the appropriate use of the brush, the type of hair used in its construction,
        and stuff like that.

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
          That may be, but there is the problem for a number of us that we do not
          read Japanese. I looked at the sites you recommended, but would be
          completely lost as they don't even offer an English translation. I
          know...I should take the time to learn Japanese, but there are a number
          of other things I'm trying to do...and there are only so many hours in a
          day. One of those...which I think I forgot to tell you folks...is that
          I'm finally employed. It's a temp-to-perm job, but looks good to go
          permanent in September. I'm working on a contract with the National
          Archives to write documentation for an enhancement of their online
          ordering Web site.

          Kiri

          Solveig wrote:

          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > >Wooden nails are still used here and in Japan for old fashioned goods.
          >
          > Yes indeed. Wooden pegs are used. However, their use does change the
          > constuction techniques a bit.
          >
          > >Try these folk for brushes and paper, good quality:
          > >
          > >http://www.orientalartsupply.com/home.cfm
          >
          > Actually, the best place I have found for Japanese paper in North America
          > is Japan Paper in Toronto, Ontario. About as good as you would find most
          > places in Japan. They have a truly impressive selection. Their one deficit
          > is that I do not believe that they sell bulk high grade hanshi.
          >
          > Brushes are another matter. Art supply stores that I have encountered
          > do not have a very good selection of brushes. As for miscellaneous
          > calligraphy frobs,
          > those I have not even tried to find in North America.
          >
          > Oriental Art Supply seems to have a better selection than most North
          > American outlets, but they do not give the sort of information about
          > their brushes that is given about the brushes on the Japanese brush
          > sites. The Japanese tell you dimensions, much better information about
          > the appropriate use of the brush, the type of hair used in its
          > construction,
          > and stuff like that.
          > --
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
          > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fc1ho8/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1088923889/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visitors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1>

          Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
          knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
          -- C.E. Lawrence

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004

            >From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
            >
            >That may be, but there is the problem for a number of us that we do not
            >read Japanese.

            Even if you do, there's a fair amount of special vocabulary that one has
            to know to make an intelligent choice. My current teachers are Chinese
            so, they don't know the Japanese words. My previous teacher moved to
            Hawaii, when I was studying with her, my Japanese wasn't really good
            enough to understand much of the specialty talk. I learned all of the
            elementary strokes with one brush, so all you need is one to start with,
            adding others as you go along. Though I'm not immune to the lure of
            buying more art goodies!

            >I know...I should take the time to learn Japanese, but there are a number
            >of other things I'm trying to do...and there are only so many hours in a
            >day.

            Know the feeling, for those who are interested in such things, I've put
            up a couple of websites, there not very good, but they have some good
            content not generated by me.

            Needs update, I have some better books to recommend now:
            http://home.comcast.net/~ronin_engineer/sumi.html

            Also needs some updating, but a fair number of painting examples,
            explanations in English:
            http://home.comcast.net/%7Easaca/index.html

            >One of those...which I think I forgot to tell you folks...is that
            >I'm finally employed. It's a temp-to-perm job, but looks good to go
            >permanent in September.

            Cool! Oh National Archives... Might have some really cool stuff.