[SCA-JML] Re: Tansu

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004

      >One word: baskets.

      Portable tansu made out of wood are to the best of my knowledge quite period.
      Baskets used in a variety of ways are also quite period. However, the one
      appearing in the first poem in the Manyoshu was probably a hand carried affair
      used for gathering. The main issue in box construction is the relative scarcity
      of iron nails in Japan. You should also expect a number of the fittings to be
      made from bronze. To the best of my knowledge, baskets were not used to store
      clothing. Today, clothing is often stored in cardboard boxes of dimensions
      similar to earlier wooden boxes. Iconographic evidences suggests hanging
      some clothing on clothing rods when not being worn.

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
        If the clothing rods are the rack-type things I've seen in paintings,
        the book on Japanese clothing by Helen Benton Minnich, "Japanese Costume
        and the Makers of its Elegant Tradition," has some wonderful pictures of
        these.

        Kiri

        Solveig wrote:

        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > >One word: baskets.
        >
        > Portable tansu made out of wood are to the best of my knowledge quite
        > period.
        > Baskets used in a variety of ways are also quite period. However, the one
        > appearing in the first poem in the Manyoshu was probably a hand
        > carried affair
        > used for gathering. The main issue in box construction is the relative
        > scarcity
        > of iron nails in Japan. You should also expect a number of the
        > fittings to be
        > made from bronze. To the best of my knowledge, baskets were not used
        > to store
        > clothing. Today, clothing is often stored in cardboard boxes of dimensions
        > similar to earlier wooden boxes. Iconographic evidences suggests hanging
        > some clothing on clothing rods when not being worn.
        > --
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
        > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290vq5a7/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1088798305/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visitors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1>

        Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
        knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
        -- C.E. Lawrence