Re: Tansu

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
      wrote:
      > Onegaishimasu!
      >
      > I am preparing to rid my encampment of plastic storage bins and
      cannot
      > think of anything more appropriate than tansu to take their place
      even
      > though I know that the tansu we are familiar with are an Edo/Meiji
      > form.

      One word: baskets.

      Makiwara
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004

        >One word: baskets.

        Portable tansu made out of wood are to the best of my knowledge quite period.
        Baskets used in a variety of ways are also quite period. However, the one
        appearing in the first poem in the Manyoshu was probably a hand carried affair
        used for gathering. The main issue in box construction is the relative scarcity
        of iron nails in Japan. You should also expect a number of the fittings to be
        made from bronze. To the best of my knowledge, baskets were not used to store
        clothing. Today, clothing is often stored in cardboard boxes of dimensions
        similar to earlier wooden boxes. Iconographic evidences suggests hanging
        some clothing on clothing rods when not being worn.

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
          If the clothing rods are the rack-type things I've seen in paintings,
          the book on Japanese clothing by Helen Benton Minnich, "Japanese Costume
          and the Makers of its Elegant Tradition," has some wonderful pictures of
          these.

          Kiri

          Solveig wrote:

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > >One word: baskets.
          >
          > Portable tansu made out of wood are to the best of my knowledge quite
          > period.
          > Baskets used in a variety of ways are also quite period. However, the one
          > appearing in the first poem in the Manyoshu was probably a hand
          > carried affair
          > used for gathering. The main issue in box construction is the relative
          > scarcity
          > of iron nails in Japan. You should also expect a number of the
          > fittings to be
          > made from bronze. To the best of my knowledge, baskets were not used
          > to store
          > clothing. Today, clothing is often stored in cardboard boxes of dimensions
          > similar to earlier wooden boxes. Iconographic evidences suggests hanging
          > some clothing on clothing rods when not being worn.
          > --
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
          > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290vq5a7/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1088798305/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visitors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1>

          Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
          knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
          -- C.E. Lawrence