Period Japanese Food (Long)

  • Kevin Murakoshi
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hello all,

      I'm a relatively new to the SCA and haven't really settled on a
      ethnicity (let alone a name). I'm Japanese American (yonsei, so more
      american than japanese). I've been flirting with going japanese since
      I can kinda do the not really period, but recognizably japanese thing
      since i already have a decent supply of garb lying around.

      I also have relativly severe food alergies (nuts and milk/milk
      products), which prevent me from eating a lot of european food. I like
      to cook (even though i am male and in college *gasp*), and i
      primarally cook Japanese.

      As I was thinking about what i'm going to make myself when i go up to
      War (West-AnTir) this weekend, i realized that a number of dishes that
      I normally make are modern inventions. (katsu based dishes, were
      developed in early meiji) I'm relativly sure that dashi based dishes
      (miso-shiru, o-zoni, etc), shioyaki, soba, nigiri/musubi, nabe, udon,
      and tskemono are pretty traditional and probably ok, but what about
      teriyaki, tempura, ramen, donburi(not katsu-don), kamaboko, sukiyaki,
      shabu-shabu and yuan-yaki?

      Can anyone give me some sources for period cooking, or perhaps some
      ideas about what techniques/dishes were used/served in our time?

      Thanks a bunch,

      Kevin Murakoshi
    • Solveig
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 3, 2004
        Ii Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig!

        > Tamago sushi: scrambled egg on rice

        It's more of an omlet or a folded crepe. I learned how to make it once
        many years ago. There is even a specialized pan for it.