Re: [SCA-JML] Geta monogatari

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004

      >Although they are the right length for me, they are mystifying, because
      >the amount of space allowed for your foot under the thong-type strap is
      >just incredibly tiny. I think it's called your instep - there's
      >nowhere near enough room for it. The straps are pretty much right
      >against the sole.

      They may actually be big for you. Yes. The straps are supposed to be tight.
      Did your get black or wood coloured? Are they narrow or wide?

      >Then the other day I came across something that said geta fit very
      >tight. So I tried shoving my foot into the sandal anyway. It was
      >pretty painful and I didn't even get far enough in to be able to walk.
      >It might have stretched a bit. But while I was drying my eyes it
      >occurred to me that someone here must know the secret, if there is one.

      Your experience sounds about right. I once bought hand made geta in Japan.
      I thought that they were too small, but I was assured that they were the
      right size. The big brown geta are men's geta. Apparently, it is quite
      acceptable for women to have a bit of heal hanging over the back edge.
      And, yes they do make women's shoes in my size in Japan and they are
      easy to buy.

    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Erin Kelly <tupan4@y...> wrote:
        > Although they are the right length for me, they are mystifying,
        because
        > the amount of space allowed for your foot under the thong-type
        strap is
        > just incredibly tiny. I think it's called your instep - there's
        > nowhere near enough room for it. The straps are pretty much right
        > against the sole.

        There is hope. I wear anything from an 8 to a 9 depending on fit in
        American women's shoes, being wide through the instep. I recently
        acquired a very pretty modern pair of geta. They were excruciatingly
        tight when I first tried them on. I took them off and VERY carefully
        pulled on the thongs to get a smidge more room. I wore them around
        the house for a bit. After a couple of short sessions at home, I
        went out to dinner and an epic movie in 'em and was quite
        comfortable. They will stretch a little bit as you wear them and as
        you get used to them. And as Solveig-hime mentioned, while my heel
        doesn't hang off the back, my pinky toes do poke off the sides a bit
        because the geta are perfect ovoids and most human feet are not. ;->

        The thong part of the wooden soled geta I've seen are usually made
        of cord covered with fabric. The cord is threaded through holes in
        the sole and secured by knots which may or may not be covered by an
        ornamental plate, or in the case of my new geta, a rubber sole. Try
        gently lifting and wiggling the thong at the point where it attaches
        between the toes. You don't want to yank it out of the sole, so do
        this carefully. There should be a little give.

        Good luck.

        Makiwara