Sam-Like leg armor for the SCA

  • b1laxson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      Greetings,

      This is Brian Goodheart, known as the greenest man in all Ealdormere.

      Currently Im working on a new suit of armor for SCA combat. Having
      made a western "Coat of plates" this one is intended to look samurai-
      like.

      There are a few "allowances" being made based on resouces, time and
      the need for minimal weight due to having once fallen off a roof.
      (For the weight ABS plastic has been selected, may the kami forgive
      the necessity of this)

      One key objective though is the ability to run, something my current
      first-ever steels legs made out of heavy car steel cant do.

      I've been over Anthony J. Bryant's armor pages bunches of times.
      ( http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html )

      One matter I'm trying to sort out is how to protect the knees and
      thighs. Espically the knees.
      The suneate (shins) in Tsubo suneate could cover the sides of the
      knees. Im considering whether to have an articulated knee on the
      inside of Tsubo, with the central Tsubo-plate acting to anchor the
      bottom-most lame.

      Some of the alternatives would be to have a more conventional
      legarmor covered by the cloth overleggings. Im not sure if I could do
      thigh-knee combo good enough to not have the same running problems I
      currently do.

      Open to ideas and looking to find out how others have solved the same
      need for knee protection.

      Lord Brian Goodheart
      aka Green-Guy
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, b1laxson wrote:

        > I've been over Anthony J. Bryant's armor pages bunches of times.
        > ( http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html )

        That would be my first resource suggestion.

        > One matter I'm trying to sort out is how to protect the knees and
        > thighs. Espically the knees.
        > The suneate (shins) in Tsubo suneate could cover the sides of the
        > knees. Im considering whether to have an articulated knee on the
        > inside of Tsubo, with the central Tsubo-plate acting to anchor the
        > bottom-most lame.

        The way I've done the knees in the past is to have a knee guard that went
        under my clothing, and then put something on on top of that. This way you
        can have the 'open' suneate, protecting the shins and below, while still
        protecting the knee.

        -Ii
      • Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
          Brian,
          I have been fighting in Japanese kit for quite a while. I use a
          combination of a floating knee worn under my fighting pants (with
          small enough wings to meet kingdom requirements, but not so large
          they encumber) I wear suneate with only the shins protected (no
          kakudzuri) and I wear steel sane over a quilted fabric padding style
          haidate. These of course do not cover every milimeter of my leg, but
          there is little need to armor every surface. The combo allows me to
          run when I have to, allows me to drop to my knees if reguired, and
          looks decent.
          The other members of my clan wear similar kit but they use the knees-
          attatched to the suneate style, and their haidate are all in plastic.
          Hope it helps.

          Date Saburou Yukiie
          Yama Kaminari Ryu

        • sigrune@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
            For what it is worth, I found a great pair of hockey or catchers shins/knees that I use. After scraping off the white lettering they look pretty good and pass the Atlantian rules of no plastic looking bits pretty well.

            I have never had a marshal tell me they do not pass, but just to be safe I carry a pair of modified knee pads. These have small stiff wings on them, and if I need to I can slip them on under my hakama to provide a determined marshal a solution to his liking.

            The nice thing about the shins is the amount of padding in the knees. It is so dense and comfortable that I can and have lifted both feet off the ground and simply dropped to my knees without any pain or discomfort. It throws quite a few people when I suddenly dissapear and then pop them in the hip.

            Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa

            "make your armor marshal proof, and adjust from there"