HELP

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , May 25, 2004
      I am planning on sublitting my name and arms at our coronation in
      July.

      What should I take for extra documentation?

      Since I made my name from Effingham-dono's website, and he is the
      God of al things Japanese, is that considered documentation?

      please help, I have plenty of time, it isnt till July, but still.

      Thanks in advance

      Odawara Ichiro Yoshinobu
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 11 , May 25, 2004
        > What should I take for extra documentation?
        >
        > Since I made my name from Effingham-dono's website, and he is the
        > God of al things Japanese, is that considered documentation?

        Odawara-dono:

        While Effingham may be a god of many things Japanese, our Lady Solveig
        is the certainly the goddess of Japanese naming. She has a book, Name
        Construction in Medieval Japan, which has the elements of Japanese
        names and notes the first known (at least to us) use of that element.
        It provides the best documentation available for CoA submissions.

        With the elements identified on Hiraizumi-dono's site, you should be
        able to get the Name Construction references rather easily. I could do
        so with you, but not until the end of June. You might be able to get
        the book yourself, see the following post for more info:

        Congratulations on your recent recognition.
        Otagiri
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 11 , May 26, 2004
          One suggestion would be to print out the page from Hiraizumi-dono's Web
          site.

          Kiri

          Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

          > > What should I take for extra documentation?
          > >
          > > Since I made my name from Effingham-dono's website, and he is the
          > > God of al things Japanese, is that considered documentation?
          > >

          > Odawara-dono:
          >
          > While Effingham may be a god of many things Japanese, our Lady Solveig
          > is the certainly the goddess of Japanese naming. She has a book, Name
          > Construction in Medieval Japan, which has the elements of Japanese
          > names and notes the first known (at least to us) use of that element.
          > It provides the best documentation available for CoA submissions.
          >
          > With the elements identified on Hiraizumi-dono's site, you should be
          > able to get the Name Construction references rather easily. I could do
          > so with you, but not until the end of June. You might be able to get
          > the book yourself, see the following post for more info:

          > Congratulations on your recent recognition.
          > Otagiri

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12970bla9/M=295920.4923769.6125018.4804107/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1085627897/A=2161811/R=0/SIG=127l12sfl/*http://visitors.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX2>

          Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
          knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
          -- C.E. Lawrence

        • David
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
            My name is David Targett, and I live Pefferlaw, Ontario, Canada -
            which is located in Ealdormere, in the Baronry of Septentria.
            I have always been interested in Japanese culture, and would like to
            express this in the SCA framework.

            It seems that there is no "Japanese" clan or household up here, is
            there any information or advice you can provide. I would appreciate
            any of your help.

            Since I'm new to the whole SCA world, I guess I'm a
            bit confused by how this works. Where I live in
            Ontario, I'm about an hours drive from the nearest
            Cantons - who are all European.

            The question is I guess, can I have a membership
            withing SCA, but be allied to a Japanese house - even
            in another area? Or, do I have to get permission to
            start my own here? Or, do I belong to the local
            Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

            Thanks for any help.
          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
              > The question is I guess, can I have a membership
              > withing SCA, but be allied to a Japanese house - even
              > in another area? Or, do I have to get permission to
              > start my own here? Or, do I belong to the local
              > Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

              Yes, not quite, and yes.

              SCA households are affiliated groups of people that can be local, or
              span the entire globe. I am in several households or groups, some are
              local. Some are just along the eastern seaboard of the US, and at
              least one has members in Virginia, Maine, Michigan, and Alaska. And
              they aren't necessarily Japanese. You can start your own household,
              be it a household of one or of one hundred.

              So you don't need any kind of permission--you can just start your own,
              if you feel like it. Up to you.

              Finally, you don't have to belong to a household at all. Many people
              don't. I didn't belong to any kind of Japanese affiliated household
              for a long time, especially as I did a Japanese persona up in Oertha
              (Alaska), where there weren't too many.

              So come on in and look through the archives* and enjoy yourself!

              -Ii

              *Nota bene: the archives are quite large, so if you go to the Yahoo!
              site to search them, you should realize that the search only does a
              portion of the archives at a time. Even if the search returns
              nothing, there will be a 'previous' or 'next' button (or something
              approximating that usage) so you can use those to look for earlier
              threads that don't show up in the search of the most recent documents.
            • David
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
                Ii-sama,

                Thank-you very much for your help. This group is excellent, and has
                a lot of great information. Do you have any advice on choosing a
                persona?

                Thanks again,

                Dave

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
                > > The question is I guess, can I have a membership
                > > withing SCA, but be allied to a Japanese house - even
                > > in another area? Or, do I have to get permission to
                > > start my own here? Or, do I belong to the local
                > > Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?
                >
                > Yes, not quite, and yes.
                >
                > SCA households are affiliated groups of people that can be local, or
                > span the entire globe. I am in several households or groups, some
                are
                > local. Some are just along the eastern seaboard of the US, and at
                > least one has members in Virginia, Maine, Michigan, and Alaska. And
                > they aren't necessarily Japanese. You can start your own household,
                > be it a household of one or of one hundred.
                >
                > So you don't need any kind of permission--you can just start your
                own,
                > if you feel like it. Up to you.
                >
                > Finally, you don't have to belong to a household at all. Many
                people
                > don't. I didn't belong to any kind of Japanese affiliated household
                > for a long time, especially as I did a Japanese persona up in Oertha
                > (Alaska), where there weren't too many.
                >
                > So come on in and look through the archives* and enjoy yourself!
                >
                > -Ii
                >
                > *Nota bene: the archives are quite large, so if you go to the Yahoo!
                > site to search them, you should realize that the search only does a
                > portion of the archives at a time. Even if the search returns
                > nothing, there will be a 'previous' or 'next' button (or something
                > approximating that usage) so you can use those to look for earlier
                > threads that don't show up in the search of the most recent
                documents.
              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
                  --- David <tazgett@...> wrote:

                  > Ii-sama,
                  >
                  > Thank-you very much for your help. This group is
                  > excellent, and has
                  > a lot of great information. Do you have any advice
                  > on choosing a
                  > persona?
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Dave

                  I will just jump in to say here that for developing
                  your persona, you probably want to decide what time
                  period of Japanese history before 1600 that you are
                  most interested in. Some people decide by clothing,
                  some by culture, some by armor, some by activity...you
                  get the idea.

                  However, do not feel like you must attend your first
                  events fully informed on every aspect of your persona
                  or fully equipped with accurate garb and accessories.
                  Or even in garb that is accurate to the persona that
                  you want to develop eventually. Or even with your
                  final choice of name. It often takes people a while to
                  find their feet in the SCA and with a Japanese
                  persona. Do not worry - every one had to start out as
                  a beginner and most people are very helpful and
                  understanding. Most of us are still evolving some
                  aspect of our persona anyway - they are generally very
                  much a work in progress.

                  So don't let not knowing everything stop you from
                  participating. Do your best attempt for the moment and
                  take a little time to figure out what you want. Most
                  of all, figure out what you enjoy and work from there.

                  Best wishes in your endeavors,

                  Ki no Izumi

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
                    On 7/31/05, David <tazgett@...> wrote:
                    > Ii-sama,
                    >
                    > Thank-you very much for your help. This group is excellent, and has
                    > a lot of great information. Do you have any advice on choosing a
                    > persona?
                    >
                    > Thanks again,
                    >
                    > Dave

                    Dave-dono,

                    I'm not sure. What kind of advice are you looking for?

                    What are your interests, first of all? Do you like the Sengoku Era,
                    or do you lean towards Heian or Kamakura? Or perhaps earlier, in the
                    Yayoi or Kofun eras?

                    Do you fight? Do you want your persona to be based around your
                    fighting, or do you want multiple personas for on and off field?

                    Lot's of questions--if you give us a better idea of your interests,
                    perhaps we can help you out.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005

                      > Since I'm new to the whole SCA world, I guess I'm a bit confused by
                      > how this works. Where I live in
                      > Ontario, I'm about an hours drive from the nearest Cantons - who are
                      > all European.

                      About fifteen years ago, the College of Heralds banned Japanese
                      territorial groups, so there can not be any Japanese Cantons. However,
                      that does not affect whether or not you can be Japanese.

                      > The question is I guess, can I have a membership withing SCA, but be
                      > allied to a Japanese house - even in another area?

                      You can do that. Households are unofficial groups and anyone can freely
                      associate with any of them as long as the household is also willing.

                      > Or, do I have to get permission to start my own here?

                      No. You do not generally need permission.

                      > Or, do I belong to the local Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

                      Most territorial groups accommodate a wide variety of cultures. You
                      should probably take this approach. When you know more people, then you
                      can consider either joining a household or starting your own.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005

                        > Thank-you very much for your help. This group is excellent, and has
                        > a lot of great information. Do you have any advice on choosing a
                        > persona?

                        Why not start out sort of generally reading about Japan and thinking
                        about what sort of things interest you. Maybe you already have ideas
                        about what sort of things interest you and you can share them with us
                        here.

                      • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1 8:31 PM
                          > Or, do I belong to the local
                          > Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

                          Yup.

                          There are a few Japanese personas here in Montreal, but the closest house I
                          know of is in Quebec city. You'll belong to the group that covers the
                          territory where you live, although you can play with whomever you wish. You
                          don't even have to be a member to play. There's a group here in Montreal,
                          but some people who live on the South Shore and would normally belong to a
                          neighbouring shire play almost exclusively with us (and vice-versa).

                          I know in some areas people interested in playing Japanese personas were put
                          down, but we don't seem to have that problem around here.

                          So choose the persona you like, even if there's no one else playing
                          Japanese. You might even make a few converts :-)