Japan's tax panel studies the Jomon period

  • ellen.m.davis@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2004
      Ahh, nothing like Jomon-period population changes to give insight into Japan's thorny tax problems:

      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=5166620

      -Aine
    • mokurai
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2004
        Interesting. I actually think it is a good idea for policy-makers to review
        history once in a while. Granted, they are open to attacks of "wasting time
        and money", but this is a "soft skills" sort o thing. It could produce
        unexpected results.

        - mokurai

      • RavenRux@COX.NET
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2004
          >Interesting. I actually think it is a good idea for >policy-makers to review
          >history once in a while. Granted, they are open to >attacks of "wasting time
          >and money", but this is a "soft skills" sort o thing. It >could produce
          >unexpected results.

          I concur. I wish American Politicians knew a little about history.

          Masamune

          From: mokurai <mokurai@...>
          Date: 2004/05/18 Tue AM 11:42:19 EDT
          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japan's tax panel studies the Jomon period

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2004
            > From: ellen.m.davis@...
            >Ahh, nothing like Jomon-period population changes to give insight into Japan's thorny tax problems:

            ROTFL.

            > From: mokurai <mokurai@...>
            >Interesting. I actually think it is a good idea for policy-makers to review
            >history once in a while. Granted, they are open to attacks of "wasting time
            >and money", but this is a "soft skills" sort o thing. It could produce
            >unexpected results.

            This smells of pork to me, it could be useful but there are probably
            more immediate and boring studies that should be carried out first.

            > From: <RavenRux@...>
            >I concur. I wish American Politicians knew a little about history.

            They do, just ask em ;) Your not a founding father unless your
            christian. Must have been some post-death conversions.

            Corruption has a very long history in Japan and America, population and
            technology has changed so much since even the Sengoku period, I can't
            imagine how you could apply any of this to taxes. Unless of course you
            start squeezing the farmers again to produce more oil ;)

            Jim