New!

  • oalaf_daghir
    Message 1 of 40 , May 12 7:23 PM
      Hey everyone,

      My name is Brad, my friends call me Togo, i'm from the southern
      Michigan area. I play a foam fighting game called dagorhir if some
      of you have heard about it, and i've always been interested in
      warfare, alot of interest in dark age japan.

      I'm only 18 right now and i've been looking up the SCA for a
      while, and i've been looking up and down for a group that re-enacts
      the samurai and their whole structure of fighting. I'm quite poor
      right now but maybe some time in the future if i can find a way to
      support dagorhir, civil war re-enacting, AND SCA, I would very much
      be looking to join your clan if you'd have me.

      Sincerely,

      Togo
    • Dean Wayland
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5, 2004
        Hi Folks,

        A couple of months ago, I posted a short series of questions concerning
        the draw weight of a yumi at a given length. A number of folks asked me
        on and off group to keep them apprised of the results, so here they are:

        Firstly, I have learned a whole lot more about archery and kyudo in
        particular since then, and I realised that my question was flawed in a
        number of respects. However, this has all now been resolved.

        To satisfy the live role playing communities specifications for the
        power of a bow over here in the UK, that is "it should not exceed 30
        pounds of pull at a draw length of 28 inches", a yumi, wherein the
        specified draw weight is measured at 90cm, needs not to exceed a draw
        weight of 38 pounds.

        So, I have now purchased and tested my first yumi. It is a 17kg (37.4
        pound) "namisun" (designed for a draw length up to 90cm) and at 28" it
        delivers 29.5 pounds, which is just right for LRP combat. Plus, with the
        longer arrows used in historical re-enactment (33.5" draw length when
        fitted with a LRP warhead), we can get up to about 35 pounds of power,
        which is also fine.

        My justification for buying the shorter "namisum" model was because the
        draw that I am using is shorter than the one I would need to perform the
        modern kyudo draw of to well behind the ear, so that it is compatible
        with the wearing of armour, which if I have understood things correctly,
        render it much more like battlefield shooting. This means the bow is
        actually 6cm (2.375") shorter in length, but on reflection with a bow
        that is 7 feet 3 inches long, the difference was unimportant.

        I hope those of you out there facing a similar problem will find this
        data useful. With thanks to those of you who responded.

        Yours

        Dean

        (Dean Wayland)
        Head Of The Fight School