Some details about gard

  • Desjardins, Michel
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2004
      First, yes Ii (wish I knew how to pronounce your name) your comment about
      Obi was useful, at least I know I can't be completely wrong :-)

      Next a few details:
      -I made a white kosode, knee length, for the under layer. Should it have
      some sort of closing like buttons or laces or is it held in place only by
      stuffing the bottom in the hakama? Had a hard time making the collar, I
      probably will have to redo it but time is closing on me :-), my first even
      as Japanese is May 15...

      -I made a similar over piece that is ankle length (is it also name kosode
      ?). I have seen pictures of these with a kind of ruban at the end of
      sleeves like here:
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/kariginupurpL.jpg
      <http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/kariginupurpL.jpg>
      How do you make these ? Do you make slots like button holes to pass the
      ruban through ? Is the long, short, long segment pattern a standard ? Is
      this ruban only decorative or is it used to "close" the sleeve for some
      reason ? Is the ruban sew or just pass through ?

      -Also on the center picture here:
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hitatare_sugata.jpg
      <http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hitatare_sugata.jpg>
      The white closing cord, how is it done, what king of knot is use to close it
      ? The two point where it attach to the garb, could these be the kamon
      design ?

      Last, about kamon, If I want to paint them on this outer garb, where should
      I paint them (back of shoulder ?) ,how big ?

      Many thanks for your helping me putting the final tough on these, If there
      is interest I might post pics of the final result...

      Michimasa

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2004
        On Thu, 6 May 2004, Desjardins, Michel wrote:

        > First, yes Ii (wish I knew how to pronounce your name) your comment about
        > Obi was useful, at least I know I can't be completely wrong :-)

        Pronounced 'Ee' as in 'meek', but held out for a two count instead of a
        one count.