Re: Nicknames, then

  • raijin31
    Message 1 of 77 , May 5, 2004
      Konnichiwa, Solveig!

      Could you offer a bit more background or explanation on the whole Fox
      thing?

      Many thanks
      Otoshi

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > >Having done a little poking, it looks like I can pick a name pretty
      > >much at random, since Heian-era ladies didn't use their real names
      > >very often.
      >
      > Not true. As for Fox as a name. That is a really bad idea in Japan.
      > The Japanese even had Fox Trials which were similar to and had
      similar
      > results to Witch Trials.
      > --
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 77 of 77 , May 7, 2004
        > Allow me to assure you that I would not have tried this list had I
        > not already exhausted every other avenue I could think of.

        Please forgive some of the responses, but many people come without having
        done any apparent research.

        That said, have you tried looking for the Name Pamphelet through ILL
        (Inter-Library Loan)? That is one way to get ahold of such things.

        Also, check out http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Next, search the archives (look for things like 'name' or 'nanori' or
        'zokumyo'). You may have to keep searching back because of the volume of
        traffic.

        > Perhaps it might be a good idea to actually make up a Naming FAQ or
        > similar--in fact, I'd be delighted to put it together, if people
        > want to send me raw information.

        There actually was a FAQ out there, but I don't know know what happened to
        it, exactly.