Re: Building a Persona: architects (and a clothing question too)

  • Aden Steinke
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2004
      >Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:09:26 -0400
      >From: Elaine Koogler
      >Subject: Re: Re: Building a Persona: architects (and a clothing question too)
      >
      >It is quite lovely...but, as others have pointed out, it does have a
      >Chinese feel to it.
      >
      >Kiri
      >
      >Booknerd9@... wrote:
      >
      >> Here ya go, I was able to find a link to a picture of the fabric, even
      >> though its kinda a
      >> cruddy picture. I was using it as trim/collar and pretty much going
      >> down the lapels
      >> etc.

      Missed the earlier post (1200+ junkmails/virus payloads in 2 days...) so not sure what period was being referred to but for the Muromachi period at least, Chinese material is ok - every trading or bribe for nominal submission ship from China had material - eg in 1407 the Ming emperor sent the grovelling Ahikaga Yorimitsu 10 rolls of silk brocade, 50 bales of fancy hemp thread of various colours, 30 rolls of thin la-silk, 20 rolls of light sha-silk and 300 rolls of fine silk of various colours as well as the coinage etc. Earlier, under the Fuijiwara, the extortion of China trade by taxing in kind was a great source of income for the governor general of Kyushu.

      So for aristocrats in period genuine Chinese material was often an option.