Re: [SCA-JML] Want to run a couple of names by people.

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
      >Remember, a lot of peasants ended up taking up names of
      >samurai or noble families in more modern times, so one
      >shouldn't always take a family's history as meaning that they
      >are related all the way back (although sometimes they are).

      Very true, Not everyone you meet with a famous name is related, and I am sure there are a few people out there who's families either took a particular name to honor or affiliate themselves with a particular person, or who now or somewhere along the line, has "tied" themselves into that famous person's family solely on the coincidence that their great-grandfather chose a particular name.

      In the cases I mentioned, I had inquired if the president of the company was related to Takeda Shingen upon my first meeting him, he was delighted that I was interested in Japan's history and confirmed that indeed he was a decendant, but did not ever elaborate as to the exact nature. Also the gentleman I mentioned of the Nakatomi family had told me about it when I inquired. I've met many people of Japanese ancestry who have notable last names, of which with only a few I have had a relationship where I thought it was appropriate to inquire about their ancestry. And of those, there is a very, very small handful that I know who claim decent, and of course I politely take those people at their word.

      :)