Re: [SCA-JML] Kabuki Wig / Noh Mask?

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2004

      Greetings from Solveig! As you probably know, you postted the URL for a
      picture of a Noh actor. Noh is period, but Kabuki is solidly post-period.
      I suggest that you study Noh theatre. If you are very serious, there is
      a three work Summer workshop at Bloomsburg University each Summer. There
      is also a program in Japan that was announced on a mailing list that Baron
      Edward and I belong to about a month ago. As for the masks and the wigs.
      I think that I found a book on how to carve the masks a while back. I believe
      the wig you are looking at is made from horse hair. That is a common matterial
      for making wigs. That is what is used to make wigs worn by English barristers.
      As far as I know, there is no source for these wigs in North America and
      they are a bit specialized even in Japan. Those wigs go with rather specific
      characters. The one that you are seeing is a type most often associated with
      monsters and certain kinds of ghosts. Are you interested in participating in
      a Noh-Kyougen Workshop at Pennsic this Summer? This is one of my annual
      Pennsic projects. The Noh-Kyougen workshop attempts to put together a
      modest theatrical at the end of Pennsic.