[SCA-JML] Re: Leather and Japanese Armor

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 1999
      On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Kev Fitzpatrick wrote:

      > Could someone please enlighten me as to the use (if
      > any) of leather in Japanese armor (e.g. cuir boulli)?

      From what I have seen, leather was used quite extensively in Japanese
      armours. First, I have noticed it apparently used as a backing for many
      of the metal armours that I have seen, acting as a kind of padding, or so
      it appeared (I wasn't able to handle it, unfortunately, just what I
      noticed through the glass). Furthermore, I believe that kozone were often
      laquered leather or rawhide ( I don't have my sources and it was hard to
      be certain, so please look this up for accuracy).

      Finally, I do know that leather strapping was used to hold and tie
      everything together (along with silk).

      Come to think of it, I believe that Arms and Armour of the Samurai, by Ian
      Bottomley and Stephen Turnbull, has at least one fully leather suit of
      armour in it. Consult it for more info.

      -Godric Logan

      PS- Seeing as how I am in Japan, does anyone have names of good Japanese
      books to check for in the local library? Anything would be appreciated