FYI: Upcoming (Free) Koto Concert at UMD

  • J. Badgley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 4:41 PM
      Forgive me if you get this twice, but I am trying to send this out to
      everyone who might be interested.

      There is a free Koto recital next weekend, April 25th, at the University
      of Maryland, Gildenhorn Recital Hall in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts
      Center. The concert is by the Washington D.C. Koto Society
      (http://kotosociety.org), Okamoto Kyoko, director.

      The koto is the Japanese zither, and it has been played since
      proto-historic times; probably a variant of a mainland zither from China
      or Korea. The 13-stringed koto most often played today, with its movable
      bridges, features in "The Tale of Genji", among other historic works.

      The recital, which begins at 2pm (doors open at 1:30pm), will include
      koto, shakuhachi, shamisen, and taiko, along with other accompaniment and
      singing. This is a great chance to hear some traditional Japanese music.

      Here's all of the info in summary:

      Annual Spring Koto Recital
      Gildenhorn Recital Hall
      Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
      University of Maryland
      College Park, MD 20742
      Sunday, April 25th
      2:00pm-4:00pm

      Seating is on a first-come first-serve basis. Feel free to share this
      with anyone else who would be interested. There is no money involved:
      this is the spring recital for the Koto Society and the UMD koto students.

      -Joshua B.