Re: Another girls name needed

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2004

      >Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for a name? I'm at college now
      >and I couldn't dig up anything on Japanese peronsal names, so I'm a
      >bit limited to the Internet. There are tons of names listed along
      >with meanings, but no era or anything. Oh well, I really liked the
      >sound of Sen, so I'll keep looking....

      Sen sounds Chinese to Japanese. That is what being an onyomi reading means.
      That doesn't mean that it wasn't used as a name in Japan. But, it gives you
      a sense of things. Someone going around calling themselves Sen is sort of
      like going around calling yourself Fitzroy or something like that in England.

      If you are at college, then you have excellent resources available through
      your interlibrary loan librarian. You can borrow a copy of my unworthy
      pamphlet or you can borrow a copy of Japanese Names and How to Read Them
      by Koop and Inada or you can borrow just about anything else you can find
      listed in Worldcat. If you can read Japanese, then you can borrow a copy
      of Nippon Joseimei by Tsunoda Bun'ei. This is a three volume study on
      Japanese women's names organized chronologically.