Another girls name needed

  • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
      I know another poster started a thread regarding girls names and I'm afraid I need
      one too. My first event (yes, I'm a bright eyed Newbie) is Sunday but only recently
      have I decided to assume a Japanese persona[1].
      I've surfed the web but came up with relitively few female names (maybe about eight,
      though I've found lots more but half of them end with -ko) and somehow I'm drawing
      a blank for "pretty objects" to be used as names.
      I like the name Sen, for some reason, it fits (plus its the nickname of a girl in the
      Miazaki film "Spirited Away" but that's another story. Does Sen work, or would you all
      recomend something else? I like flower/plant related names, if there are more options
      in that direction...

      Thank you very much....er... domo arigato gozaimashita?

      p.s. and if you can direct me to the correct kanji for Sen or any other name, that
      would be great, though I can write Hiragana from Romanji (sorta), so that's an option.

      [1]well, I was originally goign to do Tang/Song dynasty China so what I have, while
      kinda...well... creative, will probably do. I have some fabric at home I'll make into a
      hakama. Besides, it's a medieval "costume ball" so... (;
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
        Booknerd9@... wrote:

        > I know another poster started a thread regarding girls names and I'm afraid I need
        > one too. My first event (yes, I'm a bright eyed Newbie) is Sunday but only recently
        > have I decided to assume a Japanese persona[1].

        Welcome to the mad-house!

        > I've surfed the web but came up with relitively few female names (maybe about eight,
        > though I've found lots more but half of them end with -ko) and somehow I'm drawing
        > a blank for "pretty objects" to be used as names.
        > I like the name Sen, for some reason, it fits (plus its the nickname of a girl in the
        > Miazaki film "Spirited Away" but that's another story. Does Sen work, or would you all
        > recomend something else? I like flower/plant related names, if there are more options
        > in that direction...

        Sen is perfectly good, and is even a relatively famous late-period name.
        (Sen-hime, anyone?)

        It's written with the kanji for "thousand."

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004

          Greetings from Solveig! The problem with Sen is that it is an Onyomi name.
          One possibility does occur before 1600. In this case you use SEN as a
          root element of your given name. The kanji is the one that refers to daoist
          adepts as in the modern place name Sendai. If you can read Japanese a bit,
          then you will find it in the name of Sendai City at http://www.city.sendai.jp/

          Depending upon when exactly you are from, Sen is combined either with
          a following -ko or -me or preceded by an O-. Of the bunch, they occur
          in the following order -me, -ko, O- with -me being the oldest construction
          and O- being from around 1600.

          Depending upon when you are from you need either an uji or a family name.
          If you are early, you pick an uji such as: Minamoto, Taira, Fujiwara,
          Mononobe, Ootomo, &c. If you are later, then you pick a family name like
          Ichikawa or Tanaka. If you are using an uji then you put a -no- between
          the uji and the personal name. If you are using a family name, then you
          leave it out. In all cases the personal name goes last.

          There is a rather famous Sen family. They are the folks that are the
          heads of tea schools and stuff like that. This family has close
          relations with the
          imperial family. I do not recommend using it as a family name. People might
          expect you to be a tea master. Also, the name is controversial. There are
          articles in Japanese about whether or not the Sen family is Japanese or
          Korean. Sen supporters say that the original family name was Tanaka and that
          they started calling themselves Sen during the sixteenth century.

          That's the short version of things. For a longer version of things, you
          can try to lay hold of a copy of Name Construction in Medieval Japan. For
          a much longer version, you can try to lay your hands on a copy of
          History of Japanese Female Names. (This is a three volume set all in
          Japanese.)

          >I know another poster started a thread regarding girls names and I'm
          >afraid I need
          >one too. My first event (yes, I'm a bright eyed Newbie) is Sunday
          >but only recently
          >have I decided to assume a Japanese persona[1].
          >I've surfed the web but came up with relitively few female names
          >(maybe about eight,
          >though I've found lots more but half of them end with -ko) and
          >somehow I'm drawing
          >a blank for "pretty objects" to be used as names.
          >I like the name Sen, for some reason, it fits (plus its the nickname
          >of a girl in the
          >Miazaki film "Spirited Away" but that's another story. Does Sen
          >work, or would you all
          >recomend something else? I like flower/plant related names, if there
          >are more options
          >in that direction...
          >
          >Thank you very much....er... domo arigato gozaimashita?
          >
          >p.s. and if you can direct me to the correct kanji for Sen or any
          >other name, that
          >would be great, though I can write Hiragana from Romanji (sorta), so
          >that's an option.
          >

          >[1]well, I was originally goign to do Tang/Song dynasty China so
          >what I have, while
          >kinda...well... creative, will probably do. I have some fabric at
          >home I'll make into a
          >hakama. Besides, it's a medieval "costume ball" so... (;

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          | Dr. Barbara Nostrand | Department of Computer Science |
          | Assistant Professor | SUNY College at Potsdam |
          | (315) 267-2216 | Potsdam, New York 13676 |
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004
            Thanks!

          • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2004

              > Greetings from Solveig! The problem with Sen is that it is an Onyomi name.
              > One possibility does occur before 1600. In this case you use SEN as a
              > root element of your given name. The kanji is the one that refers to daoist
              > adepts as in the modern place name Sendai. If you can read Japanese a bit,
              > then you will find it in the name of Sendai City at http://www.city.sendai.jp/

              Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for a name? I'm at college now and I couldn't
              dig up anything on Japanese peronsal names, so I'm a bit limited to the Internet.
              There are tons of names listed along with meanings, but no era or anything. Oh well,
              I really liked the sound of Sen, so I'll keep looking....
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17, 2004

                >Thanks. Do you have any suggestions for a name? I'm at college now
                >and I couldn't dig up anything on Japanese peronsal names, so I'm a
                >bit limited to the Internet. There are tons of names listed along
                >with meanings, but no era or anything. Oh well, I really liked the
                >sound of Sen, so I'll keep looking....

                Sen sounds Chinese to Japanese. That is what being an onyomi reading means.
                That doesn't mean that it wasn't used as a name in Japan. But, it gives you
                a sense of things. Someone going around calling themselves Sen is sort of
                like going around calling yourself Fitzroy or something like that in England.

                If you are at college, then you have excellent resources available through
                your interlibrary loan librarian. You can borrow a copy of my unworthy
                pamphlet or you can borrow a copy of Japanese Names and How to Read Them
                by Koop and Inada or you can borrow just about anything else you can find
                listed in Worldcat. If you can read Japanese, then you can borrow a copy
                of Nippon Joseimei by Tsunoda Bun'ei. This is a three volume study on
                Japanese women's names organized chronologically.