whats my name or more name games

  • tgrcat2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2004
      Gracious and wise members of this illustrious list

      As I have mentioned before, I am still in search of a Japanese name.
      I have spent time these last several weeks pursuing Solvig-himes
      book, Effingham-dono's pages, and even rummaged on Reconstructing
      History and on Lady Tatsumi tomokos site. At this point I seem to
      have found a few that might be possible but will probably be shot
      down and fast.
      Humbly, I ask your most able assistance in finding a way to identify
      my Japanese alter-persona. I am aiming for late period (1500s ish.)

      For first names I really do like neko. (It is the first thing anyone
      has suggested when I asked for help in choosing a Japanese name. But
      the kanji I find under Historical Female Names (on page 380 of the
      first edition of Solvig himes book) is NOT the one I know for cat...
      so it means something else... but what? and would it still be
      workable?

      I have also considered Tora (pg 395) but have been told it really
      does not fit me as well as neko.

      Another one I have had suggested was found in the narrative section,
      on page 50... Nyanya (repeated syllables and the play of words on the
      mew of a kitty.)

      The final one I kind of liked was on
      http://scajapan.netfirms.com/index.htm and listed at Katsume (or
      Katsue – it seemed to mean something like benevolent victory) but the
      only listings for Katsu I found in Solvigs noble tome were
      masculine/nanori.

      (OK, I also liked nekoyanagi - pussywillow, but it is just a
      plant/word in the dictionary, I have not seen it as a name anywhere,
      though women might take feminine-floral names....)

      I believe I also need a surname and have been considering (from pg
      141)
      Katata from the sengoku period, meaning strong or tough
      Or
      Kita (this one has a kanji I can actually remember ;-) it is listed
      at 1600 and defined as tree.

      Would any of these be functional? Are there better options? I am
      VERY open to suggestions. I would really like something in a feline
      vein as that seems to suit me.

      Hopefully yours,

      Gwen Cat
      (OK, formally it is Catrin von Berlin, but my friends really do call
      me CAT – and yes, I do answer ;-)