Re: [SCA-JML] Asian Seas.

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2004
      What area?

      'Wako' are generally the name I've seen used for Japanese pirates who
      preyed upon vessels traveling between China, Korea, and Japan (The name
      makes a lot of sense if you look at old Japanese ships...).

      There are many reasons that people may have turned to piracy. Some appear
      to have been trade missions that failed: apparently there were times when
      multiple daimyo tried to send tribute to China as 'King of Japan' in hopes
      of getting back the larger share of the Chinese Emperor's return tribute.
      With multiple envoys coming, I was taught, the Chinese would only take the
      first one. Other delegations then had to go home empty-handed, or else
      raid the coast or islands for something to take back.

      I've not seen much beyond my Asian history class on this, however, so I
      would recommend looking into it more closely, and with a critical eye.
      Prof. Cornwall was a great teacher, but had obvious opinions about certain
      things that crept into his teaching style...

      -Ii