On the subject of Copyright

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2000
      There is something shocking that has just come to my attention and I
      would like to share it with this list as it affects us all.

      This topic came up on the SCA Weaving list on eGroups:

      Yahoo and eGroups are apparently planning a merger. Yahoo's Terms of
      Service include the following at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ :
      (c) With respect to all other Content you elect to post to other
      publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo the royalty-
      free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable
      right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish,
      translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and
      display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to
      incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now
      known or later developed.

      Some members of the group are afraid that if they post instructions or
      information about their designs and creations (i.e. in this case, an
      original weaving draft) that Yahoo would own that content.

      I personally think this is abhorable. I work for an email list
      service (theglobe.com), and our terms of service say nothing of this
      sort.

      Since this is an issue that will affect this list as well, I propose
      that the SCA-JML list be moved to another service where our
      discussions and postings cannot be stolen by a greedy directory
      service. Personally, I post a lot of information to this list.
      Today, I was just about to upload a web document on simple Japanese
      garb construction. But now I am reluctant to do so if it
      becomes "irrevokably" Yahoo's.

      Pardon my French, but I say, "Screw 'em!"

      Kass McGann
      Technical Producer for theglobe.com
      aka Fujiwara no Aoi-hime