Re: Kyougen and copyrights

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on
      the
      > internet and if there are any such projects already around? I
      haven't
      > heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
      > could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I
      am not
      > sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about
      anything like
      > that?
      >

      > -Godric Logan

      Dear Godric,

      The pure truth is that, even though copyright laws are supposed to
      govern the internet, there has never been a reliable way to enforce
      them. Besides, since the 'Net is an international medium, whose
      copyright laws apply? The country of the author? The country of the
      supposed plagerist. No one has ever figured it out.

      I say put the stuff up and credit it appropriately (who wrote it,
      where you got it, who edited that version, if applicable...). It's
      for the public knowledge. It's not like you're charging $9.95 for
      someone to read it or anything...

      Kass
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

        The question of putting kyougen up on the internet is whose version
        are you talking about. If it is the original monjo from say the
        early 17th century, then it is in the public domain and there is
        absolutely no problem. Problems occur if you put up someonelse's
        translation or critical apparatus.

        Incidentally, I have transcribed a number of kyougen and could
        possibly put them up. They are in Japanese. I have also translated
        a few play synopsis. Those were up on my web site until I took the
        site down yesterday.

        | techie.com, msn.com |