Kyougen and copyrights

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on the
      internet and if there are any such projects already around? I haven't
      heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
      could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I am not
      sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about anything like
      that?

      -Godric Logan
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
        --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on
        the
        > internet and if there are any such projects already around? I
        haven't
        > heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
        > could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I
        am not
        > sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about
        anything like
        > that?
        >

        > -Godric Logan

        Dear Godric,

        The pure truth is that, even though copyright laws are supposed to
        govern the internet, there has never been a reliable way to enforce
        them. Besides, since the 'Net is an international medium, whose
        copyright laws apply? The country of the author? The country of the
        supposed plagerist. No one has ever figured it out.

        I say put the stuff up and credit it appropriately (who wrote it,
        where you got it, who edited that version, if applicable...). It's
        for the public knowledge. It's not like you're charging $9.95 for
        someone to read it or anything...

        Kass
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

          The question of putting kyougen up on the internet is whose version
          are you talking about. If it is the original monjo from say the
          early 17th century, then it is in the public domain and there is
          absolutely no problem. Problems occur if you put up someonelse's
          translation or critical apparatus.

          Incidentally, I have transcribed a number of kyougen and could
          possibly put them up. They are in Japanese. I have also translated
          a few play synopsis. Those were up on my web site until I took the
          site down yesterday.

          | techie.com, msn.com |