Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Lite -- was Pennsic

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

      My modest pamphlet is available from Potboiler Press. Write to
      mailto:ALBAN@... I originally tried to find a pulbication
      venue within SCA, Inc., but was unable to do so after some effort.
      In the process, I discovered that there were several other writing
      projects out there that the Society Pulbications Czar was not
      providing a venue for. Regardless, I failed in my unenlightened
      attempt at convincing the then powers that be thus there was just
      reason to institute an occasional monograph series for works too
      large for the Complete Anachronist series. (Note. I did say too
      large. The pammphlet is quite large. As it was, it was rushed to
      publication at the behest of various officials in the College of
      Arms just as I was really getting going on feminine names.
      It is also comparatively weak on names in religion. I have
      better sources for those as well. Unfortunately, since the thing
      came out, I have been relocating every year and one especially
      bad year, I relocted some four times. My life as an academic has
      not gone as well as might have hoped. It was supposed to make
      scholarly activity easier, not harder.)

      Back to the pamphlet. There are a number of heralds which have
      copies. There may even be an OCLC library which has the thing.
      If you are near the LOC, then I know that they have one.
      Warning about 1st printing copies of the thing. There are about
      100 pages of corrections between the first and second printings
      and an additional 12 between the second and the third. The fourth
      printing is pretty similar to the third in content, but there
      was a variety of production problems. None of these are the
      fault of Alban. This has a lot to do with the acquisition of the
      printer by Lanier.

      Currently, my writing projects are accumulating much faster than
      my writing. I am supposeably working on:

      A revision of the names pamphlet
      A monograph on Kyougen
      A monograph on Classical and Medieval Japanese Food

      I was going to do a monograph on Japanese Heraldry, but the CoA
      has pretty much ruled against registration of Japanese Heraldry.
      Some heralds have been pestering me to do something on Japanese
      heraldry anyway, but I have been deeply discouraged by the rulings
      of the CoA. Unfortunately, lack of registration of Japanese Heraldry
      is probably helping to perpetuate misinformation about Japanese
      heraldry in the CoA. The last time I showed up at a scholae with
      colour transparancies of Japanese armourial display in hand, nobody
      (as I recall) showed up for the talk. Why should they? It does not
      impact their work as a Society herald! For that matter, I fear that
      I have been type-cast. A couple of years ago, I showed up at Pennsic
      intdending to give a talk on medieval Western European Law and
      jurisprudence. The ONLY people who showed up for the thing were
      ahem from Dai Nihon! Maybe, if I had listed the course under some
      other name?

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
        Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on the
        internet and if there are any such projects already around? I haven't
        heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
        could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I am not
        sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about anything like
        that?

        -Godric Logan
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
          > Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on
          the
          > internet and if there are any such projects already around? I
          haven't
          > heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
          > could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I
          am not
          > sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about
          anything like
          > that?
          >

          > -Godric Logan

          Dear Godric,

          The pure truth is that, even though copyright laws are supposed to
          govern the internet, there has never been a reliable way to enforce
          them. Besides, since the 'Net is an international medium, whose
          copyright laws apply? The country of the author? The country of the
          supposed plagerist. No one has ever figured it out.

          I say put the stuff up and credit it appropriately (who wrote it,
          where you got it, who edited that version, if applicable...). It's
          for the public knowledge. It's not like you're charging $9.95 for
          someone to read it or anything...

          Kass
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

            The question of putting kyougen up on the internet is whose version
            are you talking about. If it is the original monjo from say the
            early 17th century, then it is in the public domain and there is
            absolutely no problem. Problems occur if you put up someonelse's
            translation or critical apparatus.

            Incidentally, I have transcribed a number of kyougen and could
            possibly put them up. They are in Japanese. I have also translated
            a few play synopsis. Those were up on my web site until I took the
            site down yesterday.

            | techie.com, msn.com |