Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Lite -- was Pennsic

  • Eva Grammer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      Your Excellency,

      Herr Malachias told on you! I didn't know you were a baron, and landed at that!

      Anyway, JPG's and GIF's are no problem!

      As for CA 65, I've been trying to get it, as well as another CA that has an article entitled
      "Simple Japanese Court Garb for Women" or something like that, don't remember the number. If
      anyone has access to these two CA's, I'd be glad to pay postage and/or photocopying if I could
      get sent these articles.

      Also, I understand that Lady Solveig, the author of *the* Japanese SCA naming book, is on this
      list?? Lady Solveig, if you would be so kind as to direct me as to where I could find your
      book? I've been looking, but haven't found it yet. Or, if you have some more direct
      suggestions, I'm certainly willing to listen.

      Cynwise

      "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:

      > My apologies for not getting back to you sooner!
      >
      > Eva Grammer wrote:
      >
      > > My name is Cynwise 誥 Sceaduwode. I am joining this list due to a nine-year-old's
      > > insatiable curiousity for all things Japanese. She wants a Japanese persona in
      > > the SCA.
      >
      > { snippage }
      >
      > > Therefore, I have joined this list to learn how Japanese is done in the SCA.
      >
      > Welcome to the madhouse. Pull up a zabuton, have some sake, and sit back for the
      > ride.
      >
      > > We
      > > have done some preliminary research, and while she is interested in the Heian
      > > period, I have real reticence about all those robes, especially in Meridies summer
      > > heat! (read: humidity, humidity, humidity!) She already has problems dealing
      > > with the heat as it is.
      > >

      > Well, the japanese survived it... and in Kyoto. A more muggy and humidly icky place I
      > have never visited. Actually, multi-layering of loose clothing is remarkably cool;
      > more layers to catch a breeze or wick heat away or some such idea. I'm really not too
      > clear on it.
      >
      > Fortunately, for kids, you don't have to deal with all those layers. If your computer
      > can read JPEGs or GIFs, I can scan in and send you a couple of color photos of
      > Heian-era girlchild garments. And they're really easy to make, too, being almost
      > entirely composed of rectangles.
      >
      > It's possibly a bit beyond a nine-year-old, but you might want to get and read (if
      > only for your own edification) a copy of Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining
      > Prince." It's starting to show its age (c. 30+ years) but it's still arguably the
      > best popular look at Heian life and custom. It's in paperback, and you can get it
      > from Amazon.com.
      >

      > > Anyway, if any gentles on the list could give me an idea of "Japanese lite" for
      > > my daughter, I'd really appreciate it. I sew marginally well, but have not tried
      > > anything more complicated than a T-tunic yet. I would like to get info on a
      > > period Japanese name for her, as well as some simple garb. And who knows, she
      > > might like it enough that she continues with the Japanese persona for the rest of
      > > her life, you never know.
      > >

      > You should also grab Compleat Anachronist #65, "A Japanese Miscellany" -- it's got a
      > lot of basic info on doing Japanese in the SCA, including a section on naming
      > patterns.
      >
      > Effingham

      You can get paid for reading emails! Check this link out:

      http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/849085
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

        My modest pamphlet is available from Potboiler Press. Write to
        mailto:ALBAN@... I originally tried to find a pulbication
        venue within SCA, Inc., but was unable to do so after some effort.
        In the process, I discovered that there were several other writing
        projects out there that the Society Pulbications Czar was not
        providing a venue for. Regardless, I failed in my unenlightened
        attempt at convincing the then powers that be thus there was just
        reason to institute an occasional monograph series for works too
        large for the Complete Anachronist series. (Note. I did say too
        large. The pammphlet is quite large. As it was, it was rushed to
        publication at the behest of various officials in the College of
        Arms just as I was really getting going on feminine names.
        It is also comparatively weak on names in religion. I have
        better sources for those as well. Unfortunately, since the thing
        came out, I have been relocating every year and one especially
        bad year, I relocted some four times. My life as an academic has
        not gone as well as might have hoped. It was supposed to make
        scholarly activity easier, not harder.)

        Back to the pamphlet. There are a number of heralds which have
        copies. There may even be an OCLC library which has the thing.
        If you are near the LOC, then I know that they have one.
        Warning about 1st printing copies of the thing. There are about
        100 pages of corrections between the first and second printings
        and an additional 12 between the second and the third. The fourth
        printing is pretty similar to the third in content, but there
        was a variety of production problems. None of these are the
        fault of Alban. This has a lot to do with the acquisition of the
        printer by Lanier.

        Currently, my writing projects are accumulating much faster than
        my writing. I am supposeably working on:

        A revision of the names pamphlet
        A monograph on Kyougen
        A monograph on Classical and Medieval Japanese Food

        I was going to do a monograph on Japanese Heraldry, but the CoA
        has pretty much ruled against registration of Japanese Heraldry.
        Some heralds have been pestering me to do something on Japanese
        heraldry anyway, but I have been deeply discouraged by the rulings
        of the CoA. Unfortunately, lack of registration of Japanese Heraldry
        is probably helping to perpetuate misinformation about Japanese
        heraldry in the CoA. The last time I showed up at a scholae with
        colour transparancies of Japanese armourial display in hand, nobody
        (as I recall) showed up for the talk. Why should they? It does not
        impact their work as a Society herald! For that matter, I fear that
        I have been type-cast. A couple of years ago, I showed up at Pennsic
        intdending to give a talk on medieval Western European Law and
        jurisprudence. The ONLY people who showed up for the thing were
        ahem from Dai Nihon! Maybe, if I had listed the course under some
        other name?

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
          Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on the
          internet and if there are any such projects already around? I haven't
          heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
          could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I am not
          sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about anything like
          that?

          -Godric Logan
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
            --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know if there is any problem with putting Kyougen up on
            the
            > internet and if there are any such projects already around? I
            haven't
            > heard of any, but I thought it might be nice to put Kagyuu up if I
            > could. I'm figuring that it has fallen into public domain, but I
            am not
            > sure if there are any special laws. Does anyone know about
            anything like
            > that?
            >

            > -Godric Logan

            Dear Godric,

            The pure truth is that, even though copyright laws are supposed to
            govern the internet, there has never been a reliable way to enforce
            them. Besides, since the 'Net is an international medium, whose
            copyright laws apply? The country of the author? The country of the
            supposed plagerist. No one has ever figured it out.

            I say put the stuff up and credit it appropriately (who wrote it,
            where you got it, who edited that version, if applicable...). It's
            for the public knowledge. It's not like you're charging $9.95 for
            someone to read it or anything...

            Kass
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000

              The question of putting kyougen up on the internet is whose version
              are you talking about. If it is the original monjo from say the
              early 17th century, then it is in the public domain and there is
              absolutely no problem. Problems occur if you put up someonelse's
              translation or critical apparatus.

              Incidentally, I have transcribed a number of kyougen and could
              possibly put them up. They are in Japanese. I have also translated
              a few play synopsis. Those were up on my web site until I took the
              site down yesterday.

              | techie.com, msn.com |