Re: [SCA-JML] Pennisc

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 6, 2000
      My apologies for not getting back to you sooner!

      Eva Grammer wrote:

      > My name is Cynwise шке Sceaduwode. I am joining this list due to a nine-year-old's
      > insatiable curiousity for all things Japanese. She wants a Japanese persona in
      > the SCA.

      { snippage }

      > Therefore, I have joined this list to learn how Japanese is done in the SCA.

      Welcome to the madhouse. Pull up a zabuton, have some sake, and sit back for the
      ride.

      > We
      > have done some preliminary research, and while she is interested in the Heian
      > period, I have real reticence about all those robes, especially in Meridies summer
      > heat! (read: humidity, humidity, humidity!) She already has problems dealing
      > with the heat as it is.

      Well, the japanese survived it... and in Kyoto. A more muggy and humidly icky place I
      have never visited. Actually, multi-layering of loose clothing is remarkably cool;
      more layers to catch a breeze or wick heat away or some such idea. I'm really not too
      clear on it.

      Fortunately, for kids, you don't have to deal with all those layers. If your computer
      can read JPEGs or GIFs, I can scan in and send you a couple of color photos of
      Heian-era girlchild garments. And they're really easy to make, too, being almost
      entirely composed of rectangles.

      It's possibly a bit beyond a nine-year-old, but you might want to get and read (if
      only for your own edification) a copy of Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining
      Prince." It's starting to show its age (c. 30+ years) but it's still arguably the
      best popular look at Heian life and custom. It's in paperback, and you can get it
      from Amazon.com.

      > Anyway, if any gentles on the list could give me an idea of "Japanese lite" for
      > my daughter, I'd really appreciate it. I sew marginally well, but have not tried
      > anything more complicated than a T-tunic yet. I would like to get info on a
      > period Japanese name for her, as well as some simple garb. And who knows, she
      > might like it enough that she continues with the Japanese persona for the rest of
      > her life, you never know.

      You should also grab Compleat Anachronist #65, "A Japanese Miscellany" -- it's got a
      lot of basic info on doing Japanese in the SCA, including a section on naming
      patterns.

      Effingham
    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2000
        Solveig this is Kuji you where kind enuff to do Tea at my camp last year , I
        will have Igo at war
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, kujika@a... wrote:
          > Solveig this is Kuji you where kind enuff to do Tea at my camp last
          year , I
          > will have Igo at war

          Kuji! You unapologetic lurker!

          <in a huff>