Re: [SCA-JML] So ...

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004

      >Who do Lady Solveig and Hiraizumi-dono go to when they have a 1000
      >questions?

      Usually big fat books often written in Japanese. If that doesn't work,
      we may ask professional Japanese scholars. These worthies can even be
      the people who wrote those big fat books. Baron Edward can even do some
      of the asking in person.

      I just peeked at Baron Edward's answer. There is also interlibrary loan,
      but that is pretty much reserved for current research projects. Recently,
      I have acquired piles of copies of the Engishiki and sections of the
      Ishinpo as part of my continuing effort concerning premodern food and
      food culture. I am still looking for a complete copy of the Shuhanron.
      I've been after that one for a couple of years now. I may be able to
      find a copy of it at Cornell, but I have not made a library run there
      for a couple of years. There are only a couple of copies of the Inshipo
      in the United States. Obtaining access to texts can be nontrivial especially
      if you do not live near a research library. To my knowledge, I have not
      lived particularly near an East Asian research library for most of seven
      years now. This slows things down more than a bit. Sometimes I buy books
      from amazon.co.jp more or less on speculation with varying results.