Re: Gokenin

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
      > During the Muromachi period, gokenin were vassals of the shogunate,
      as opposed
      > to samurai in general. That is, not all samurai owed service
      directly to the
      > shogunate; most were in their clans, not. (Literally, gokenin is often
      > translated as "house-men" -- pointing out their connection to the
      shogunal
      > house)....
      >
      > Essentially, gokenin were middle-ranking samurai, and typically had
      middle-range
      > civil service type jobs (in the Edo period). Like any other samurai
      position, it
      > was inheritable, acquirable, marriable, and buyable. <G>

      Was there a kind of institutional continuity for the gokenin from the
      Kamakura, through the Ashikaga, and into the beginning of the
      Tokugawa? Or did the Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa govenments
      reinvent/reestablish them from scratch?

      Otagiri
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:

        > During the Muromachi period, gokenin were vassals of the shogunate,
        as opposed
        > to samurai in general....
        > Essentially, gokenin were middle-ranking samurai, and typically had
        middle-range
        > civil service type jobs (in the Edo period). Like any other samurai
        position, it
        > was inheritable, acquirable, marriable, and buyable. <G>

        Was there a kind of institutional continuity for the gokenin from the
        Kamakura through the Ashikiga and into the Tokugawa shogunates? Or did
        Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa governments have to recreate/reestablish them.

        Who paid their stipends in the early sixteenth century when the
        shogunate itself was broke?

        Would Hideyoshi's sword-hunt and/or comprehensive land survey have
        been performed by gokenin?

        Thanks again
        Otagiri
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2004

          First of all you should read the stuff put out by Farris and Mass both of
          whom have written extensively on pre-modern Japan. You should also check
          out the appropriate volume of the Cambridge History of Japan.

          >If any have information they can add to or which would correct this
          >description, I would be glad to hear of it. For instance: Is being a
          >gokenin an inheritable position by law or practise?

          Most everything in Japan was dejure appointive and defacto heritable.
          However, inheritance was most emphatically not necessarily to the eldest
          son. Generally, the holder of position would try to arrange succession
          during their lifetime by the most capable candidate. For ordinary property,
          family headship, and stuff like that, succession could go to females as
          late as the middle of the Kamakura period.

          >Was the position bought by bribery?

          I wouldn't rule it out, but it was not all that normative. Another way
          to look at things. For example, the imperial court had a number of ways
          it could persuade people to do things. They could offer titles, opportunities
          to participate in important ceremonies, and things like that as inducements.
          While their was exchange value in this sort of arrangement, the initiative
          was often more with the superior than you appear to be suggesting. Money
          was often obtained by other means. A lot of civic construction was financed
          by "subscriptions" with groups of officials going around collecting for these
          efforts.

        • Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
            wrote:
            > Was there a kind of institutional continuity for the gokenin from the
            > Kamakura, through the Ashikaga, and into the beginning of the
            > Tokugawa? Or did the Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa govenments
            > reinvent/reestablish them from scratch?
            >
            > Otagiri

            Heck, now I'm echoing my own posts. I think there is something up with
            the Yahoo mail...

            Otagiri
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2004
              Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

              > Was there a kind of institutional continuity for the gokenin from the
              > Kamakura, through the Ashikaga, and into the beginning of the
              > Tokugawa? Or did the Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa govenments
              > reinvent/reestablish them from scratch?

              Interesting question.

              I don't think there's really a simple one-sentence answer, but the basic point
              is that all warrior houses had their retainers. The go-kenin were just those who
              happened to be direct retainers of the house that ruled the country, as opposed
              to being retainers of other vassal lords.

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2004
                Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                > Who paid their stipends in the early sixteenth century when the
                > shogunate itself was broke?

                They had fiefs and incomes, remember. They had their own taxes to collect, just
                like everyone else.

                > Would Hideyoshi's sword-hunt and/or comprehensive land survey have
                > been performed by gokenin?

                No; it was performed by the lords of the provinces (and *their* retainers) under
                Hidyoshi's command.

                Effingham
              • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2004
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                  > Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
                  >

                  > > Who paid their stipends in the early sixteenth century when the
                  > > shogunate itself was broke?
                  >
                  > They had fiefs and incomes, remember. They had their own taxes to
                  collect, just
                  > like everyone else.

                  All samurai had their own fiefs? Including garrison troops barracked
                  in the city?

                  What was the nature of the relation between a daimyo and the kokujin
                  (ji-samurai) within the nominal borders of his shugyo? Were kokujin
                  vassals? Did they perform military service for the daimyo outside of
                  vassalage?

                  Otagiri
                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3, 2004
                    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                    > > Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Who paid their stipends in the early sixteenth century when the
                    > > > shogunate itself was broke?
                    > >
                    > > They had fiefs and incomes, remember. They had their own taxes to
                    > collect, just
                    > > like everyone else.
                    > >

                    > All samurai had their own fiefs? Including garrison troops barracked
                    > in the city?

                    Daimyo kept fiefs, and samurai served the daimyo, getting paid from the
                    taxes they levied. If you for some reason lost your position and became
                    'ronin' (usually for being on the wrong end of a battle). Ronin had no
                    income, and could either find another lord to take them in, or--as often
                    seemed to happen--form a small band and raid the villages and farms for
                    what they could.

                    -Ii
                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3, 2004

                      >All samurai had their own fiefs? Including garrison troops barracked
                      >in the city?

                      It was how they were paid. This sort of arrangement goes all the way
                      back to land allocation to kuge under the ritsuryou system. The buke
                      version was generally less direct as they often held tax collection
                      or rent collection rights from which they derived a share while the
                      kuge in theory held actual tax or rent rights.

                      The daimyou are fundamentally a category of rights holder. If your
                      fief was large enough then you were classified as a daimyou. If it
                      was smaller, you were classified as a shomyou. There is more than a
                      bit of confusion about all of this. The position of original significance
                      was actually "shugo" which was a kind of provincial military governor
                      or constable created during the Kamakura period. Shugo were awarded
                      large
                      fiefs and were also daimyou.

                    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3, 2004
                        > The daimyou are fundamentally a category of rights holder. If your
                        > fief was large enough then you were classified as a daimyou. If it
                        > was smaller, you were classified as a shomyou. There is more than a
                        > bit of confusion about all of this. The position of original
                        significance
                        > was actually "shugo" which was a kind of provincial military governor
                        > or constable created during the Kamakura period. Shugo were awarded
                        > large
                        > fiefs and were also daimyou.

                        I'm aiming my inquiry at a smaller scale than daimyo. The following
                        comes from my reading of Sansom and some documents in Lu:

                        Some samurai were jito. The jito had the right to collect the taxes
                        for the holder of the tax rights (shiki). In most cases the jito was
                        not the cultivator of the land (sakunin).

                        So how likely are the following statements (in the mid sixteenth century).

                        1) Some samurai are jito
                        2) All jiti are samurai..
                        3) Some jito draw their stipend as a portion of the taxes collected.
                        4) Some jito deliver all the taxes directly to their leige.
                        5) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige in the form
                        of goods.
                        6) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige as cash

                        And some more questions.
                        Peasants were encouraged to develop new fields. Were these new fields
                        incoporated into the existing shoen systems? Were new shoen estates
                        "registered" somewhere someway? Did significant acreage exist outside
                        the shoen estates?
                      • Andrew Leitch
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2004
                          Once again, its after midnight and I'm writing my reply from work and I
                          don't have my library or old rekishi notes at hand. So, fully expecting to
                          be shot down in flames by Effingham-dono, here�s my two yens worth anyway�
                          :)

                          *** On Jito and Shugo-

                          Weren't the jito originally a pre-Ashikaga Imperial tax collector? They
                          were supposed to collect the tax and send it back to the Imperial court
                          noble who technically owned the fief.

                          At some point this system broke down.

                          As the samurai class came into its own, the jito (who'd already militarised
                          to a certain extent to protect their cash) sent a portion of their money
                          upstream to the shugo rather than to court in order to gain further
                          protection. The shugo were military rather than bureaucratic governors at
                          the time.

                          So, the actual control of the land passed from court hands into the hands
                          of the shugo � who were samurai. These guys bickered and fought amongst
                          themselves to secure greater numbers of jito. If they acquired enough land
                          they were called daimyo (doesn�t this just mean �big name�?).

                          Hmmm� by the time the Warring States period ended, jito had ceased to be.
                          Or at least, that�s my impression.

                          There�s a number of terms of which I�m not sure though:

                          Go-zamurai � samurai who are from farmer stock? Or maybe are traditionally
                          associated with a given fief?

                          Hatamoto � senior vassals of a daimyo who control distinct areas of land
                          smaller than a Han?

                          Karo � elderly advisers, retired generals, uncles etc.

                          *** On Stipends-

                          I don�t believe that all samurai had their own fiefs. Especially once
                          Tokugawa got in control. A stipend was an income derived from tax gathered
                          from the Lord�s lands but it was not directly tied to any particular patch
                          of land.

                          A retainer on a stipend did not own a village which he had to look after.
                          He was in direct vassalage to his lord and served at his residence (mansion
                          or castle). He got paid a stipend in the same way that we might collect a
                          yearly salary. The retainers which had their own plot of land, which were
                          infiefed, as it were, were go-zamurai or hatamoto perhaps? Hmmm� I lack
                          enough of the right names to describe this situation properly�

                          I do remember that Tokugawa Ieyasu had a deliberate policy of
                          disenfranchising the samurai from their feudal land base. The payment of
                          stipends or salaries was essential to this. It was just another method he
                          had of ensuring that samurai did not rise up and rebel. The theory being
                          that without significant ties to land and the peasant class, their sense of
                          responsibility for them was diminished and they would also lack a feudal
                          base of operations to return to and stage rebellions from.

                          **** Otagiri Tatsuzou�s questions �

                          1) Some samurai are jito
                          2) All jito are samurai..

                          - I don�t think the jito really existed by the mid-sixteenth century, IMHO.
                          I'm sure someone will tell us though. :)

                          3) Some jito draw their stipend as a portion of the taxes collected.
                          - I think that they drew a percentage (of around 50%?) from the taxes
                          collected.

                          4) Some jito deliver all the taxes directly to their leige.
                          - Nope, I don�t think so.

                          5) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige in the form of
                          goods.
                          - Goods? Like rice? Almost certainly, eh. I can�t imagine a town or city
                          based samurai being paid in rice though. More likely in cold, hard cash�
                          gold bullion of some sort. Promisary notes?

                          6) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige as cash
                          - I reckon. :)

                          And some more questions.
                          Peasants were encouraged to develop new fields. Were these new fields
                          incoporated into the existing shoen systems? Were new shoen estates
                          "registered" somewhere someway? Did significant acreage exist outside
                          the shoen estates?

                          - New fields were developed by nanushi, I think (that name doesn't sound
                          right...). Anyway, the �grass parters�, who reclaimed swamps or cut down
                          forests. These new lands were often not straight away incorporated into the
                          shoen system. The jito might still collect tax from it, but they might
                          keep the rice all to themselves (with very little maneuvering on their
                          part).

                          The amount of tax collected depended on how recently the last land survey
                          was done. A jito might have 5000 tan of land to collect tax from in
                          theory. But given a bit of growth, he might actually administer 6,500 tan
                          of land because the taxes were set at the last land survey, say 80 years
                          ago.

                          Of course, land surveyors could always be bribed to underestimate land size
                          and production value as well.

                          I hope this makes sense.

                          IIRC, Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu were into land surveys in a big way
                          as it increased their income significantly.

                          Segayama no Andre
                          (Andre de Montsegur)
                        • Ii Saburou
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2004
                            Regarding taxes, one history professor I had pointed out several
                            intersting things that would happene in both China and Japan. It was
                            usual for peasants to hide a certain amount of the proceeds from the tax
                            collectors. Rulers would then raise taxes to an artificial number (say,
                            80%) which is what they would take from the rice reported.

                            Thus, whenever someone wanted more, they could actually lower taxes but
                            increase enforcement and actually gather in more income. Of course,
                            rulers have to always be wary that they aren't starving their workers...
                            too much.

                            -Ii

                            On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Andrew Leitch wrote:

                            > The amount of tax collected depended on how recently the last land survey
                            > was done. A jito might have 5000 tan of land to collect tax from in
                            > theory. But given a bit of growth, he might actually administer 6,500 tan
                            > of land because the taxes were set at the last land survey, say 80 years
                            > ago.
                            >
                            > Of course, land surveyors could always be bribed to underestimate land size
                            > and production value as well.
                            >
                            > I hope this makes sense.
                            >
                            > IIRC, Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu were into land surveys in a big way
                            > as it increased their income significantly.
                            >
                            > Segayama no Andre
                            > (Andre de Montsegur)

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Solveig
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4, 2004

                              You should really read some of the books written by Mass. You will find
                              pretty good answers to your questions.

                              >1) Some samurai are jito

                              Yes.

                              >2) All jiti are samurai..

                              Probably. However there are no plurals in Japanese and Japanese is
                              definitely not Latin or Greek so it should simply be jito not jiti.
                              The Jito were created at about the time of the Genjpei War. They
                              are a major feature in the Kamakura Bakufu.

                              >3) Some jito draw their stipend as a portion of the taxes collected.

                              Very technically, the shoen managers are not collecting taxes they are
                              collecting rents and shares of crops. The shoen were generally tax exempt.

                              >4) Some jito deliver all the taxes directly to their leige.

                              No. The estate owners and the feudal liege are often completely different and
                              possibly unrelatged people.

                              >5) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige in the form
                              >of goods.

                              This can become complicated. However, the answer is pretty much yes.
                              Vassals typically received an annual gift of cloth for their uniforms.
                              You can get a glimps of this in as I recall the end of the first movie
                              in Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy.

                              >6) Some samurai receive stipends directly from their leige as cash

                              This may happen, but it sounds pretty unusual. The vassals generally
                              received agricultural rights. Even today, Japanese avoid obvious
                              exchanges of cash. Even if cash is being given, it is frequently
                              placed in an envelope and conveyed on a tray or some other device.

                              >Peasants were encouraged to develop new fields. Were these new fields
                              >incoporated into the existing shoen systems? Were new shoen estates
                              >"registered" somewhere someway? Did significant acreage exist outside
                              >the shoen estates?

                              Yes, pretty much to all of those questions. However, you really
                              should read Mass. Incidentally, land was either part of the shoen
                              system or it was part
                              of the old ritsuryou system. One is land taxable by the imperial government
                              and the other is land exempt from imperial taxation.

                              Again about "daimyou",. While it is literally <big><name> it really refers
                              to the size of land holdings. You should recall that private fields can be
                              called "myouden". During the Kamakura Period, the jitou were independent
                              of the shugou and came under the shugou during the Muromachi Period. The
                              old posts of jitou and shugou are pretty much replaced by the Tokugawa.

                            • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Leitch" <kinder@w...> wrote:

                                > Once again, its after midnight and I'm writing my reply from work
                                and I
                                > don't have my library or old rekishi notes at hand. So, fully
                                expecting to
                                > be shot down in flames by Effingham-dono, here's my two yens
                                worth
                                anyway…
                                > :)

                                From what I've been reading, your 2 yen (mon ?) is worth a little
                                more. I'd thought I add a little more on the nature of samurai from
                                Carl Streenstrup's _Hojo Shigetoki (1198-1261) and his Role in the
                                History of Political and Ethical Ideas in Japan_.

                                "A gokenin or shogunate houseman was a warrior who owned a piece of
                                inherited land to which his right was confirmed by the bakufu. Most
                                but not all gokenin held jitou-shiki or stewardships. These gave them
                                not only income but also the right to police the area (kendan) and a
                                series of other public competences, in return for service duties to
                                the bakufu. Not all shugo were gokenin but, as far as we know, all
                                jito were.

                                A warrior who had no such confirmation and accordingly did not perform
                                services for the bakufu was a hi-gokenin, He might serve the emperor,
                                a prince, a kuge family, a shrine or a temple, or be an independent
                                landowner or myoushu. Souhei or monk soldiers wer not considered
                                hi-gokenin but ranked with the routou mentioned below.

                                Gokenin and hi-gokenin together constituted the warriors or samurai.
                                The minimum requirements for being a samurai were to own bow and
                                arrows and a horse trained for combat, to have received martial
                                training, to have enough landed income to acquire and keep these
                                accoutrements, and to fight on horseback, which according to the mode
                                of warfare of the age required some kachi or footmen to protect the
                                horse against other samurais' foot soldiers. One kachi was the
                                absolute minimal requirement. Finally, a samurai was required to have
                                his landed income from inherited land and to derive it through shiki
                                higher up in the social scale than mere cultivators' shiki. This did
                                not preclude his holding cultivators' shiki besides and doing actual
                                farmwork himself. There were no doubt many blurred cases. But the
                                foundation for the gradually developing seperation of warriors and
                                non-warriors was already being laid in the Kamakura times: the samurai
                                being a gentleman of independent means (as in England until lately, it
                                took two generations to make him) who fought on horseback, and the
                                rest of the people commoners who tilled the soiled, produced goods, or
                                traded. In between were the warriors' retinue men, or juusha."

                                Highest in rank among the juushu were the wakatou, who were samurai in
                                the process of training. These might be adopted into the household.
                                Those lacking in hereditary and finacial means were called routou. The
                                y fought on foot, carried swords, and sometimes held office. Below
                                them were chugen who did not carry swords and fought with spear.

                                As to goods -v- money, in the Kamakura money was beginning to be used
                                in normal commerce. The bakufu tried to stifle this as a way of
                                checking inflation and the wealthy Western provinces. Mutsu was
                                required to use barter/goods in its finacial transactions/taxes until
                                the Nambu and Dewa controlled the region during the Sengoku.
                              • Solveig
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004

                                  Greetings from Solveig! Some of the articles being quoted sound a bit confused.
                                  Here is an article by Frederic translated by Roth and published by Harvard.

                                  Bushi. "Man of arms." Since 721, this term was used for professional
                                  warriors, coming into general use in the late eleventh century and
                                  replacing the terms mono-no-fu, tsuwamono, musha, and saburai, which
                                  later became the word samurai. Starting in the Kamakura period, the
                                  bushi were part of the "warriors' house," or buke, an early
                                  designation of the shogun's entourage. Later, the term buke became
                                  synonymous with 'bushi class" [this is how I use the term] and
                                  encompassed all warriors. Leagues of warriors, or bushidan,
                                  especially in the provinces, gave rise to the great warrior clans,
                                  and therafter the only true bushi were those in the bushidan, while
                                  others were called tsuwamono. During the Edo period, the bushi were
                                  classified according to a strict hierarchy, dominated by the shogun,
                                  within which each bushi occupied a place determined by his status
                                  (daimyou, hatamoto, gokenin, hanhi, etc.) and that of the lord he
                                  served. This hierarchy was abolished in 1869, and the former bushi
                                  became part of the new shizoku class. Finally, in 1947, all social
                                  distinctions were abolished and members of the shizoku class became
                                  simple citizens. (2002 p. 94)

                                  Jitou. In the late Heian period, land used to remunerate certain
                                  provincial bureaucrats or representatives of the shouen Intendants).
                                  Startin in the Kamakura period (or perhaps even a little before, in
                                  the mid-twelfth century),
                                  however, this term no longer referred to land but to estate
                                  intendants and tax collectors for the owners. [Farris in Heavenly
                                  Warriors stresses the continuity of this class from developments in
                                  the Heian period] The position of jitou became more or less
                                  hereditary starting in 1221. In the Muromachi period, "jitou"
                                  designated mainly a low-ranking local lord (koku-jin); in the Edo
                                  period, it was simply the title of a person with a certain share
                                  (chigryou) in a daimyou's fief. [This is why the jitou do not appear
                                  on the organizational chart for the Edo Bakufu at the back of
                                  Kodansha Kogojiten.] (2002 p. 425)

                                  Gokenin. Direct vassals of a shogun. In the Kamakura period, term for
                                  some 2,000 samura families who became hereditary vassals of Minamoto
                                  no Yoritomo and received land (ando) or became jitou or shuugo. The
                                  gokenin served as the shogun's personal guard and constituted the
                                  basis of his army. In the Muromachi period, the gokenin were divided
                                  into two classes, those under direct control of the shogun, the
                                  houkoushuu, and those under a shugo, the jitou-gokenin. During the
                                  Edo period, the gokenin were the shogun's lowest-ranked direct
                                  vassals, below the hatamoto, and did not have the privilege of being
                                  received by the shogun. Their income varied widely but rarely
                                  exceeded 200 koku, which meant that many of them were impoverished
                                  and became merchants or artisans. (200 p. 255)

                                  Bottom line. There were a lot more jitou out there than there were
                                  gokenin during the Kamakura period. The gokenin of the Kamakura
                                  period held a variety
                                  of appointments and only some of them were jitou. The shugo (constables) were
                                  the real provincial innovation of the Kamakura Bakufu. Later the
                                  gokenin become much more numerous. Finally, jitou were fairly common
                                  as late as 1600. We see them functioning as estate stewards and local
                                  government authorities in early kyougen plays such as Ukosako. There
                                  is no identity between gokenin, bushi, or jitou.

                                • Andrew Leitch
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 18, 2004
                                    Thank you Solveig!

                                    - Andre

                                    Snip * Solveig writes:

                                    Noble Cousin!

                                    Greetings from Solveig! Some of the articles being quoted sound a bit
                                    confused.
                                    Here is an article by Frederic translated by Roth and published by Harvard.

                                    Bushi. "Man of arms." Since 721, * Snip