MIK Kamon take iV

  • Desjardins, Michel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hello again,

      Since I found the resource of Solveig Throndardottir , I must say I feel
      more confident in designing a good kamon :-)
      Just hope I'm not too much confident Lol

      Seriously, I had a good, long look at the eleven plate of the site and I
      find very interesting (Pl. 1. Col. 3, Row 1) Mound of 3 Turtle Shells
      Asai Nagamasa 1570. Now If I would add a forth Turtle Shell under the three
      making it similar to (pl. 3 Col 3, Row 4) Takeda Diamonds
      Takeda Shingen 1541, would this be correct ? Would this conflict with
      either a real kamon or a known SCA registered kamon ?
      Also, from the drawing it is hard to see how exactly these Turtle Shell are
      draw, is there a good representation somewhere (hopefully on-line since I
      have not access to other resources...)

      Thanks

      MIK

    • Donald Luby
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Apr 1, 2004, at 1:51 PM, Desjardins, Michel wrote:

        > Hello again,
        >
        > Since I found the resource of Solveig Throndardottir , I must say I
        > feel
        > more confident in designing a good kamon :-)
        > Just hope I'm not too much confident Lol
        >
        > Seriously, I had a good, long look at the eleven plate of the site and
        > find very interesting (Pl. 1. Col. 3, Row 1) Mound of 3 Turtle Shells
        > Asai Nagamasa 1570. Now If I would add a forth Turtle Shell under the
        > three
        > making it similar to (pl. 3 Col 3, Row 4) Takeda Diamonds
        > Takeda Shingen 1541, would this be correct ? Would this conflict with
        > either a real kamon or a known SCA registered kamon ?
        > Also, from the drawing it is hard to see how exactly these Turtle
        > Shell are
        > draw, is there a good representation somewhere (hopefully on-line
        > since I
        > have not access to other resources...)

        While I can't say whether or it would conflict with anything already
        registered, or even whether the SCA CoA would register "Turtle Shells",
        this the exactly right kind of thing to do to generate kamon (or any
        type of heraldry, actually) for use within an SCA context: take
        well-researched period arms or motifs, and modify them in a
        documentably period fashion, so you end up with something that well
        *could* have existed in period, but isn't necessarily something that
        *did* exist in period.

        My kamon, for example, is a variant of the Takeda kamon - I removed the
        fourth (bottom) lozenge, and then put it all within a mascle (the
        outline of a diamond).

        > Thanks
        >
        > MIK

        Sir Koredono