Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Zen SCA Bugei Juhappan

  • Andrew Leitch
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2004
      And to really clear the field, lets throw in koppojutsu...

      - Andre

      Otagiri Tatsuzou writes:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
      > > Ii Saburou wrote:
      > >
      > > > I'd add 'hojojutsu' (Just seems to make sense to me) or 'bojutsu'
      > >
      > > I'd probably agree with hojojutsu. Bojutsu...
      >
      > I was purposefully avoiding hojojutsu. Not sure how some autocrats or
      > marshalls might take it. "Well, binding my enemy may not be as
      > chivalarous as letting him commit suicide, but, uh, would you like to
      > try?"
      >
      > As for incense, I agree with the advise that it can be to make my
      > helmet smell better in case someone takes my head.
      >
      > But I am looking for demonstratable skills. I am not sure how well I
      > could do that with the bunkei, except for maybe the calligraphy:
      > "Here's a brush. Write your name." (Don't expect much more from me!)
      >
      > Otagiri

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Solveig
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 6, 2005

        Greetings from Solveig! According to "Budou Shoshinshuu", members of the buke
        class should be educated beginning with the following texts.

        1. The Four Books:
        The Lun Yü "Analects of Confucius"
        The Meng-tzu "Analects of Mencius"
        The Ta Hsüeh "The Great Learning "
        The Chung Yung "The Doctrine Of The Mean"

        2. The Five Classics
        The Shu Ching "The Book of Historical Records"
        The Shih Ching "The Book of Odes"
        The I Ching "The Book of Changes"
        The Li Ki "The Book of Rites"
        The Ch'un Ch'iu "The Spring and Autumn Annals"

        3. The Seven Military Texts (Bukyoushichisho)
        [Japanese readings are given below]
        This is a collection of seven Chinese Military Classics
        Sonji Suntsu's Art of War
        Goji
        Urryoushi
        Rikutou
        Sanryaku
        Shibahou
        Rieikou

        A Japanese description of these works can be found at:

        http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-shiro/data/etc/bukei.html

        A shorter description can be found at:

        http://kanbun.info/shibu02/rikutou00.html

        Of course this emphasis on Confucian thought is
        fairly typical of the Tokugawa period.

        | trash by my email filters. |