Re: [SCA-JML] Zen SCA Bugei Juhappan

  • Andrew Leitch
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2004
      Fantastic! Kato Kiyomasa... I know that name from somewhere. Was he one of
      Ieyasu's retainers? And when were those rules laid down?

      I have a personal theory that the hard-core samurai philosophy that shows
      up in Hagekure and is so promoted in the West is a product of the Tokugawa
      period, an almost post medieval age. A time when war was essentially over
      and the samurai, struggling with learning to be bureaucrats or glorified
      police, tried vainly to grasp at what they had lost and what it meant to be
      samurai.

      - Andre

      Anthony J. Bryant writes:

      > sigrune@... wrote:
      >
      > > Wow, I didn;t know any actualy banned those pastimes, I can see soem of the
      > > more stoic clans/houses poo-pooing them or frowning on them.
      >

      > Oh, yeah. Kato Kiyomasa comes to mind. For example, in his Precepts, he wrote:
      >
      > "The practice of Noh dancing is absolutely forbidden. When one unsheathes his
      > sword, he has cutting a person down in mind. Thus, as all things are born from
      > being placed in one's heart, a samurai who practices dancing -- which is outside
      > the martial arts -- should be ordered to commit seppuku.
      >
      > "One should put forth effort in matters of learning. One should read books
      > concerning military matters, and direct his attention exclusively to the virtues
      > of loyalty and filial piety. Reading Chinese poetry, linked verse, and waka is
      > forbidden. One will surely become womanized if he gives his heart knowledge of
      > such elegant, delicate refinements."
      >
      > Effingham

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Solveig
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 6, 2005
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! According to "Budou Shoshinshuu", members of the buke
        class should be educated beginning with the following texts.

        1. The Four Books:
        The Lun Yü "Analects of Confucius"
        The Meng-tzu "Analects of Mencius"
        The Ta Hsüeh "The Great Learning "
        The Chung Yung "The Doctrine Of The Mean"

        2. The Five Classics
        The Shu Ching "The Book of Historical Records"
        The Shih Ching "The Book of Odes"
        The I Ching "The Book of Changes"
        The Li Ki "The Book of Rites"
        The Ch'un Ch'iu "The Spring and Autumn Annals"

        3. The Seven Military Texts (Bukyoushichisho)
        [Japanese readings are given below]
        This is a collection of seven Chinese Military Classics
        Sonji Suntsu's Art of War
        Goji
        Urryoushi
        Rikutou
        Sanryaku
        Shibahou
        Rieikou

        A Japanese description of these works can be found at:

        http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-shiro/data/etc/bukei.html

        A shorter description can be found at:

        http://kanbun.info/shibu02/rikutou00.html

        Of course this emphasis on Confucian thought is
        fairly typical of the Tokugawa period.

        | trash by my email filters. |