Ikebana (was Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Zen SCA Bugei Juhappan)

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
      > Nope. Much of modern ikebana's ideas, from what I've seen, seems
      to come
      > from Sen no Rikkyu, the famous 16th C tea master (in terms of the
      > simplistic styles, nage-ire ["thrown-in"], etc.). Back in Heian
      Japan,
      > however, the "Eiga Monogatari" mentions a flower-arranging
      competition
      > where the architects and ...

      Thanks, I really didn't know. More homework. ;-> AFTER I try the new
      paper out for fan prototype #3.

      Makiwara
    • Solveig
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 6, 2005

        Greetings from Solveig! According to "Budou Shoshinshuu", members of the buke
        class should be educated beginning with the following texts.

        1. The Four Books:
        The Lun Yü "Analects of Confucius"
        The Meng-tzu "Analects of Mencius"
        The Ta Hsüeh "The Great Learning "
        The Chung Yung "The Doctrine Of The Mean"

        2. The Five Classics
        The Shu Ching "The Book of Historical Records"
        The Shih Ching "The Book of Odes"
        The I Ching "The Book of Changes"
        The Li Ki "The Book of Rites"
        The Ch'un Ch'iu "The Spring and Autumn Annals"

        3. The Seven Military Texts (Bukyoushichisho)
        [Japanese readings are given below]
        This is a collection of seven Chinese Military Classics
        Sonji Suntsu's Art of War
        Goji
        Urryoushi
        Rikutou
        Sanryaku
        Shibahou
        Rieikou

        A Japanese description of these works can be found at:

        http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-shiro/data/etc/bukei.html

        A shorter description can be found at:

        http://kanbun.info/shibu02/rikutou00.html

        Of course this emphasis on Confucian thought is
        fairly typical of the Tokugawa period.

        | trash by my email filters. |