Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Zen SCA Bugei Juhappan

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2004
      I'm sure Ii-dono or Hiraizumi-dono could answer better, but I seem to
      remember finding some reference to it being a period art. Of course, it
      wasn't as developed a discipline as what we see today,but, as an art, it
      did exist in period.

      Kiri

      makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
      > wrote:
      > > Incense -- too fluffy aristocratic. Calligraphy? Unnecessary.
      > Poetry? Feh. Artsy
      > > stuff. Literature and flowers and games? Bah.
      >
      > You're such a GUY, Hiraizumi-dono. :->
      >
      > Isn't ikebana post period?
      >
      > Makiwara

      Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
      knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
      -- C.E. Lawrence

    • Solveig
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 6, 2005
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! According to "Budou Shoshinshuu", members of the buke
        class should be educated beginning with the following texts.

        1. The Four Books:
        The Lun Yü "Analects of Confucius"
        The Meng-tzu "Analects of Mencius"
        The Ta Hsüeh "The Great Learning "
        The Chung Yung "The Doctrine Of The Mean"

        2. The Five Classics
        The Shu Ching "The Book of Historical Records"
        The Shih Ching "The Book of Odes"
        The I Ching "The Book of Changes"
        The Li Ki "The Book of Rites"
        The Ch'un Ch'iu "The Spring and Autumn Annals"

        3. The Seven Military Texts (Bukyoushichisho)
        [Japanese readings are given below]
        This is a collection of seven Chinese Military Classics
        Sonji Suntsu's Art of War
        Goji
        Urryoushi
        Rikutou
        Sanryaku
        Shibahou
        Rieikou

        A Japanese description of these works can be found at:

        http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-shiro/data/etc/bukei.html

        A shorter description can be found at:

        http://kanbun.info/shibu02/rikutou00.html

        Of course this emphasis on Confucian thought is
        fairly typical of the Tokugawa period.

        | trash by my email filters. |