RE: [SCA-JML] Zen SCA Bugei Juhappan

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Matt L wrote:

      > I am not sure how well the unarmed martial arts would translate into SCA
      > studies... it seems to me that even if you study a martial art, it is the
      > modernization of the art... though many claim ancient roots, and some
      > perhapse truely do have those ancient origins, all have evolved over the
      > centuries. still who is to be the judge... every school has a different
      > variation on the style, and every school argues that it is superior in
      > technique ... what looks good in kata is not nessicarily effective in
      > combat, so where many schools have evolved to preform beautiful kata are
      > they warriors arts anymore?

      This is the theory behind maintaining the tripod of the sword (and can be
      applied to most any art): batto/iai/kata, tameshigiri, and shiai.
      batto/iai/kata--this is the 'beautiful' techniques. Actually,
      some of them are quite simple, depending on the art. Some of them have
      actually been used to teach people to use a sword in the last century,
      although the generation that used them is dying off.
      tameshigiri--test cutting. Shows you can really cut with that
      fancy stuff.
      shiai--usually with shinai to show you know how to fight.

      Also, physics are physics--they don't change over time. Furthermore,
      things like speed and control can still be judged today, regardless of
      whether the kata would 'work' (although I think that should always be in
      the front of a student's mind).

      -Ii
    • Solveig
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 6 3:32 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! According to "Budou Shoshinshuu", members of the buke
        class should be educated beginning with the following texts.

        1. The Four Books:
        The Lun Yü "Analects of Confucius"
        The Meng-tzu "Analects of Mencius"
        The Ta Hsüeh "The Great Learning "
        The Chung Yung "The Doctrine Of The Mean"

        2. The Five Classics
        The Shu Ching "The Book of Historical Records"
        The Shih Ching "The Book of Odes"
        The I Ching "The Book of Changes"
        The Li Ki "The Book of Rites"
        The Ch'un Ch'iu "The Spring and Autumn Annals"

        3. The Seven Military Texts (Bukyoushichisho)
        [Japanese readings are given below]
        This is a collection of seven Chinese Military Classics
        Sonji Suntsu's Art of War
        Goji
        Urryoushi
        Rikutou
        Sanryaku
        Shibahou
        Rieikou

        A Japanese description of these works can be found at:

        http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-shiro/data/etc/bukei.html

        A shorter description can be found at:

        http://kanbun.info/shibu02/rikutou00.html

        Of course this emphasis on Confucian thought is
        fairly typical of the Tokugawa period.

        | trash by my email filters. |