Re: [SCA-JML] Name Game

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 105 , Mar 31, 2004
      From my understanding, and I am a novice to this myself, there traditionally were not a large number of women's names. Not that I agree mind you, but women were not viewed as needing them. Women sometimes became known by names other than their actual names, either titles or some appelation. Though some of them, might only have been known by that following their death.

      ((This probably has something to do with the ancient tradition of men shouting out their names and lineage across the battlefield when a challenge was issued. It just never sounds as cool as when you yell out, Lord Katsu-nani-nani, son of Yori-nani-nani, I Bob, son of fred, challenge you!))

      Also, sorry to state, women did not strike out much on their own. Women rarely could have a life without family or husband. The few that are known as famous women in their own rights were either special cases, or society somehow fit their place into the ideal of a female role (even if it had to be crammed into there with a tetsubo.) There also were not many mercinary per-se in Japan... well more specifically, nearly everyone was, either that or conscripts. I suppose it is possible to be a pirate, but early on, piracy was the provence of a handful of clans (and psudo sanctioned, when it was against Korea/China by the powers that be) in those cases, it was predominantly male since those pirates were drawn from the standard corps of retainers. In later times, pirates nearly exclusively prowled the home waters, (inland sea, coastlines) and in these cases you are talking brigands with boats. In that example, I could see women, since it deals with the underworld society, a society in which women did get a bit of a break. (Namely because women are evil incarnate when they so desire to be. :)

      However if one was to be from a "respectable" family, granted there are not alot of choices, but what is wrong with a feared soldier having a name like pretty flower? Then again, I always thought it ironic and quite enjoyable my friend named one of his guard-dogs (apparently half german shepard/half jurassic hell-hound) Bubbles. And after all, one sees flowers at funerals.

      I need more caffine...
      Mike... aka Tetsunaga
    • seki_nakagawa
      Message 105 of 105 , Jan 10, 2009
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, shinomoto yoshinaga <frayyosh@...>
        wrote:
          I have a Japanese persona my real life better half has a Scottish
        persona.

        I am right there with you. My better half's persona is Norse and we
        had a 2 SCA years of discussion as to whether she would take my
        nihonji name or what. She end up assuming a "regional" name and named
        herself Lezlie of Silverhart, which is where we live. I am not even
        sure that Lezlie is norse at all.

        -Sukeie