Re: [SCA-JML] Pennisc

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2000
      markejag@... wrote:

      > Edward,
      >
      > Are you, any time during Pennsic, going to run a Japanese role playing game?
      > The name escapes me now, of the "D&D" type of book you wrote. Some late
      > night at the Clan pavilion?

      That would be Sengoku. { http://www.sengoku.com }.

      I don't plan to bring it. I will be bringing a shogi set, though. {g}

      Effingham
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
        Greetings,

        Having returned from my journey (I will try to get those pictures up as
        soon as they come back from the developers, especially the ones of the
        moya chamber, if they turn out) and am wondering about several things,
        including, what is the proper way to write a letter during the Sengoku
        Jidai?

        Probably a lot of different ways so I should narrow it down more
        specifically:

        1) Male bushi of lesser rank to one of higher rank. I am looking fo
        between 1550 and 1580 AD. Any help on special words or phrases to use
        would be helpful, as would any help on the format. I am also interested
        as to what kind of writing to use (kanji, katakana, etc.) although as I
        will be writing this to a real person I would like them to be able to read
        it so might stick with mostly modern kana as opposed to trying my hand at
        the older style kana (for which I did recieve a chart from my History
        teacher, limited though it might be).

        2) Male bushi of lesser rank to noble woman. Would such a thing have even
        been done? I'm not sure, but I am looking at a letter of thanks and
        gratitude in both cases.

        Any help with the above would be appreciated. Resources are more than
        welcome and I will be looking through my library to see what I can find.

        On another subject, were place names a common name element? If so, how
        were they used and by whom? I have seen what appears to be people-place
        names (one used for either) but am not sure if that is just a coincidence
        or if there is historical evidence for its use ("PLACENAME no
        SHITANONAMAE"?)

        Still searching for a good, wholesome family name, unfortunately
        everything I can find that I like has airs attached to it and I wonder if
        I should be so arrogant. Then again, look at some other names in the
        SCA...

        -Godric Logan
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
          Baron Edward!

          Greetings from Solveig! How about an Igo set? For that matter, how about
          Hyakunin Ishuu or Irohagaruta?

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000

            There are of course books in Japanese instructing you in the correct
            way to write letters. As for the general layout of a Japanese letter,
            it hasn't changed that much since the Mongul invasion.

            As for specific words and phrases, that sort of thing does progress
            as the language evolves. You should expect to use -gazaru a lot more
            than in modern missive and sourou less than in a Kamakura missive.
            Basically, unless you are prettending to be the emperor, you should
            probably just use contemporaneous polite language for the period.

            As for noble women. Women were desired offspring in the Heian period
            as they could be married up the hierarchy. (Yes, that is quite a bit
            earlier than you are interested in, but it gives you an idea of
            cultural history.) As for writing to a "noble" woman of higher rank,
            it depends upon what particular positions she occupies at the time.
            If she is in charge of something (this continued at least through
            the middle of the Kamakura period), then you could possibly have
            reason to write to her.

            Ahh! Someone gave you a bequest! Well then, expressions of gratitude
            could be appropriate. Gift exchanges are a fine art in Japan. You
            might consider giving a gift to the person to whom you are indebted.
            I suggest that you calculate the value of the gift that you received
            and give one of precisely half its value. This preserves the superior
            status of the person to whom you are indebted while still expressing
            thanks.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Mikazuchi Ukyo
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
              Greetings,

              With the summer months here now, and having suffered a nice facial sunburn from the East Kingdom War Camp day...anyone have any idea on where I can purchase, or preferably make some nice Japanese headwear?  I have a late 16th century persona that is still being worked on heavily, but I'm dying for some shade.  =)

              Thanks for all the anticipated help.  =)

              Tachibana Ukyo

              "Gou ni itte wa gou ni shitagae"

              ICQ# 70147813
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                Mikazuchi Ukyo wrote:

                > With the summer months here now, and having suffered a nice facial
                > sunburn from the East Kingdom War Camp day...anyone have any idea on
                > where I can purchase, or preferably make some nice Japanese headwear?
                > I have a late 16th century persona that is still being worked on
                > heavily, but I'm dying for some shade. =)

                Well, some martial arts stores sell the conical straw hats. That's about
                as close as you'll get this side of the pond. Unless you make a big
                jingasa out of metal or leather and lacquer it all up.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                  Joshua Badgley wrote:

                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > Having returned from my journey (I will try to get those pictures up as
                  > soon as they come back from the developers, especially the ones of the
                  > moya chamber, if they turn out)

                  Yum!!

                  > and am wondering about several things,
                  > including, what is the proper way to write a letter during the Sengoku
                  > Jidai?

                  There is a Japanese grammar written by a Jesuit priest named Rodrigues
                  (Shogun's "Alvito Tsukku-san") for missionaries. It is, surprise, the only
                  extant grammar of period spoken Japanese, and it's an incredibly useful tool
                  for anyone who wants to get a look at what the spoken language was like.
                  Actually, the Portuguese did us a great service when they wrote many
                  instructional texts in Japanese, as they used the European tradition of
                  inquisitor and knowledgeable person (where the entire text is Q&A, one person
                  says, "say, fellow, tell me about the nature of man." and the respondent
                  says, "man is the work of god..."). The thing is, since it's all dialogue,
                  it's all the way japanese was actually SPOKEN at that time.

                  I don't know anyone who's done serious academic work with it, though, and I'm
                  not sure how easy it is to find. I've got small chunks of it here. The books
                  are written in Portuguese (or rather, with Portuguese orthography) rather
                  than Japanese, of course, so you have to learn quickly that "fuque" is Hokke
                  (-sect) Buddhism, and that "Xingendono" Takeda Shingen.

                  There were definitely differences in speech between then and now, but not as
                  much in terms of vocabulary. Japan was a closed country, and very little
                  outside influence affected speech from 1550-1850, unlike English or French.

                  As part of Rodrigues' works was a book on "how to write letters," intended to
                  enable people to correspond in an appropriate way. Somewhere around here I
                  have a translation of it. Texts and letters were written in something called
                  sourou-bun (which also affected formal speech), in which the verb-supplement
                  "sourou" finished off sentences. For example, if I wanted to say "I want to
                  meet Mr. Noda," today I'd say "Noda-san to ai-shitai desu." In sourou-bun
                  it's "Noda-dono ni aishitaku sourou."

                  What you really need to do is take a class on bungo (a.k.a. kobun), classical
                  Japanese. There are many elements of classical Japanese that don't exist
                  today but which *did* in the 1500s. Mostly there is a loss of many supporting
                  verbs of politeness. (e.g., tamau, tatematsuru, etc.)

                  > Probably a lot of different ways so I should narrow it down more
                  > specifically:
                  >
                  > 1) Male bushi of lesser rank to one of higher rank. I am looking fo
                  > between 1550 and 1580 AD. Any help on special words or phrases to use
                  > would be helpful, as would any help on the format. I am also interested
                  > as to what kind of writing to use (kanji, katakana, etc.) although as I
                  > will be writing this to a real person I would like them to be able to read
                  > it so might stick with mostly modern kana as opposed to trying my hand at
                  > the older style kana (for which I did recieve a chart from my History
                  > teacher, limited though it might be).

                  Learn kanbun. That's what most letters seem to have been written in in terms
                  of official documents. Hideyoshi's personal letters were written in hiragana
                  primarily (with some kanji, of course <g>).

                  Forget the "older style" kana; that's like Nara and VERY early Heian period.
                  Kana forms were well set by 1000. I find the use of older kana forms in
                  anything but ANCIENT text to be horribly affected and not really good
                  recreation.

                  > 2) Male bushi of lesser rank to noble woman. Would such a thing have even
                  > been done? I'm not sure, but I am looking at a letter of thanks and
                  > gratitude in both cases.

                  Not very likely historically. People didn't write to women they weren't
                  related to, as a rule. For recreative (SCA) purposes, just treat it as
                  generic lesser-to-superior.

                  > Any help with the above would be appreciated. Resources are more than
                  > welcome and I will be looking through my library to see what I can find.
                  >
                  > On another subject, were place names a common name element? If so, how
                  > were they used and by whom? I have seen what appears to be people-place
                  > names (one used for either) but am not sure if that is just a coincidence
                  > or if there is historical evidence for its use ("PLACENAME no
                  > SHITANONAMAE"?)

                  Yes, but in a strange way. Something like 85% of modern Japanese surnames are
                  in fact locatives, at least half of which are city/town names. The Ashikaga,
                  Tokugawa, Suwa, Soma, Nitta, etc., all took their surnames from the towns in
                  which they established themselves. My own SCA surname, Hiraizumi, is from the
                  seat in Oshu of the Oshu Fujiwara, Hiraizumi.

                  > Still searching for a good, wholesome family name, unfortunately
                  > everything I can find that I like has airs attached to it and I wonder if
                  > I should be so arrogant. Then again, look at some other names in the
                  > SCA...

                  Where do you want to be from?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > There are of course books in Japanese instructing you in the correct
                    > way to write letters.

                    That's modern. I think Lord Godric was asking about historical letter
                    styles.

                    > As for the general layout of a Japanese letter,
                    > it hasn't changed that much since the Mongul invasion.

                    Ummm... yes, it has. Quite considerably.

                    > As for specific words and phrases, that sort of thing does progress
                    > as the language evolves. You should expect to use -gazaru a lot more
                    > than in modern missive and sourou less than in a Kamakura missive.

                    I'm not quite clear on exactly what you're saying here viz-a-viz "sourou"
                    and Kamakura and "gozaru."

                    > Basically, unless you are prettending to be the emperor, you should
                    > probably just use contemporaneous polite language for the period.

                    Contemporary for whom and when? When I try to write a Heian or Sengoku
                    letter, I try to write a Heian or Sengoku letter, not a Heisei 12 letter.

                    > As for noble women. Women were desired offspring in the Heian period
                    > as they could be married up the hierarchy. (Yes, that is quite a bit
                    > earlier than you are interested in, but it gives you an idea of
                    > cultural history.) As for writing to a "noble" woman of higher rank,
                    > it depends upon what particular positions she occupies at the time.
                    > If she is in charge of something (this continued at least through
                    > the middle of the Kamakura period), then you could possibly have
                    > reason to write to her.

                    No, actually. He would write to her secretary, her office, something like
                    that. He wouldn't write directly to her.

                    Effingham
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                      Baron Edward!

                      Technically, he should write to the office if he is expressing
                      thanks. Prior to that, he should enquire with the secretary as
                      to an appropriate gift. You are pretty much always told what
                      sort of gift to give to a superior in Japan.

                      As for the layout of Japanese letters. This is of course from
                      my very unreliable memory, but the general form advocated by
                      the modern guide to letter writing which I have roughly
                      corresponds to letters in a collection of Kamakura period
                      letters which I also have (unless of course the collection is
                      a fake.)

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000

                        ?

                        > As for the layout of Japanese letters. This is of course from
                        > my very unreliable memory, but the general form advocated by
                        > the modern guide to letter writing which I have roughly
                        > corresponds to letters in a collection of Kamakura period
                        > letters which I also have (unless of course the collection is
                        > a fake.)

                        I think you might want to look at those letters again.

                        Effingham
                      • Joshua Badgley
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                          On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                          > What you really need to do is take a class on bungo (a.k.a. kobun), classical
                          > Japanese. There are many elements of classical Japanese that don't exist
                          > today but which *did* in the 1500s. Mostly there is a loss of many supporting
                          > verbs of politeness. (e.g., tamau, tatematsuru, etc.)

                          I'm looking for what I can find. Unfortunately, hardly any of my Japanese
                          friends seem to know much about it, and most of my Japanese teachers, it
                          seems, don't know where to begin. They seem to mostly just brush it off
                          as being too hard to get into. I am going to see what I can find in the
                          library, though. Actually, as my time here narrows I'm looking at asll
                          these books and wondering what it will cost to photocopy what I need so
                          that I can go over it in a more leisurely fashion back home, where I would
                          not be able to get them, most likely.

                          -Godric Logan
                        • Joshua Badgley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                            On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                            > If your Japanese is up to it, another useful source is the bookstore's selection
                            > of high-school texts on kobun. I recommend the Super Sigma (Suupaa Shiguma)
                            > "dekiru kobun (kokugo 1-2), by bun'ei do (it's B5 size). Another source (in
                            > English) is Introduction to Classical Japanese by Komai & Rohlich (pubbed by
                            > Bonjinsha). A *required* book is McCullough's "Bungo Manual". All but the latter
                            > can be bought in Japan.

                            Obrigado,

                            I will see what I can find/afford. ;)

                            -Godric Logan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                              Joshua Badgley wrote:

                              > I'm looking for what I can find. Unfortunately, hardly any of my Japanese
                              > friends seem to know much about it, and most of my Japanese teachers, it
                              > seems, don't know where to begin. They seem to mostly just brush it off
                              > as being too hard to get into. I am going to see what I can find in the
                              > library, though. Actually, as my time here narrows I'm looking at asll
                              > these books and wondering what it will cost to photocopy what I need so
                              > that I can go over it in a more leisurely fashion back home, where I would
                              > not be able to get them, most likely.

                              Then while you're there, grab a good kogo jiten. I recommend either Obunsha's kogo
                              jiten, or perhaps better, the Obunsha "zen'yaku kogo jiten." Another good one
                              would be the Benesse "zen'yaku kogo jiten."

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                                Joshua Badgley wrote:

                                > On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                                >
                                > > If your Japanese is up to it, another useful source is the bookstore's selection
                                > > of high-school texts on kobun. I recommend the Super Sigma (Suupaa Shiguma)
                                > > "dekiru kobun (kokugo 1-2), by bun'ei do (it's B5 size). Another source (in
                                > > English) is Introduction to Classical Japanese by Komai & Rohlich (pubbed by
                                > > Bonjinsha). A *required* book is McCullough's "Bungo Manual". All but the latter
                                > > can be bought in Japan.
                                >
                                > Obrigado,
                                >
                                > I will see what I can find/afford. ;)

                                The latter two I think you can order/find here in the States. The kogo jiten and
                                possibly the Super Sigma book are more important, and only available there (unless
                                you order it via Kinokuniya online).

                                Effingham
                              • Eva Grammer
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                                  Greetings to all worthy patrons of this list...

                                  My name is Cynwise æt Sceaduwode. I am joining this list due to a nine-year-old's
                                  insatiable curiousity for all things Japanese. She wants a Japanese persona in
                                  the SCA. Of course, I realize that she can't even really register a name until
                                  she is 18, and that this might be a phase that she could grow out of, but I feel
                                  very reticent to squelch her curiousity.

                                  Therefore, I have joined this list to learn how Japanese is done in the SCA. We
                                  have done some preliminary research, and while she is interested in the Heian
                                  period, I have real reticence about all those robes, especially in Meridies summer
                                  heat! (read: humidity, humidity, humidity!) She already has problems dealing
                                  with the heat as it is.

                                  Anyway, if any gentles on the list could give me an idea of "Japanese lite" for
                                  my daughter, I'd really appreciate it. I sew marginally well, but have not tried
                                  anything more complicated than a T-tunic yet. I would like to get info on a
                                  period Japanese name for her, as well as some simple garb. And who knows, she
                                  might like it enough that she continues with the Japanese persona for the rest of
                                  her life, you never know.

                                  Thanks in advance,

                                  Cynwise æt Sceaduwode
                                  mka Eva Grammer
                                  Vulpine Reach, Meridies
                                  --
                                  You can get paid for reading emails! Check this link out:

                                  http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/849085
                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000
                                    Lady Cynwise æt Sceaduwode!

                                    Greetings from Solveig!

                                    >the SCA. Of course, I realize that she can't even really register a
                                    >name until
                                    >she is 18, and that this might be a phase that she could grow out
                                    >of, but I feel
                                    >very reticent to squelch her curiousity.

                                    I do not recall anything in the RfS which restricts registration of Society
                                    names to those who are 18 or older.

                                    Now then. Your child is 9 years old. She is not expected to wear court
                                    robes yet. In fact, it is rather inappropriate for her to do so as she
                                    would not receive a court appointment until she was at least 12 or 13
                                    at the very earliest.

                                    Concerning heat and humidity. Parts of Japan are quite hot and humid during
                                    the Summer. The Japanese wore clothing which would allow people to survive
                                    that sort of weather.

                                    Japanese clothing can be just about as simple as a T-tunic. As for Japanese
                                    names. I can try to find my copy of History of Japanese Female Names by
                                    Pennsic and bring it with me. I will be giving a class on the Origin of
                                    Japanese Names. Incidentally, your daughter would have a childhood name
                                    at this point. Japanese customarily took new names at their coming of age
                                    ceremony. For that matter, an active life could give a Japanese person lots
                                    of opportunities to change their name or collect new ones to add to old ones.

                                    Your Humble Servant
                                    Solveig Thronardottir
                                    Amateur Scholar

                                    Sorry for not being of greater help reight now. I have to vacate my office
                                    within the next two days. (The perilous life of the itinerant academic. I
                                    am off to a new post in the Autumn. Strange things happen. A place whose
                                    temporary job I turned down a few weeks ago called at the end of last
                                    week to offer a tenure track job. If the current tenure track offer falls
                                    trough, then I will take the newly offered one. *SIGH*)

                                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 2, 2000

                                      Yes, there are a lot of auxiliary verbs and joshi and all sorts of
                                      other stuff that was around in classical Japanese, but isn't now.
                                      By 1500, Japanese starts looking pretty recognizeable. Even so,
                                      there is a "translation" into modern Japanese of Ryorimonogatari
                                      (17c) Regardless, a good text is:

                                      The Guide to Japanese Literature
                                      Shogakukan
                                      ISBN 4-09-504501-9

                                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 3, 2000
                                        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                        > Noble Cousin!
                                        >
                                        > Yes, there are a lot of auxiliary verbs and joshi and all sorts of
                                        > other stuff that was around in classical Japanese, but isn't now.

                                        We're not talking about now. We're talking about 16th Century Japanese.

                                        > By 1500, Japanese starts looking pretty recognizeable. Even so,
                                        > there is a "translation" into modern Japanese of Ryorimonogatari
                                        > (17c)

                                        Shakespeare is "fairly recognizable" too, but there are many points of
                                        grammar and syntax in Shakespeare that are not common in contemporary
                                        English. The same with elements of Shakespearean vocabulary. Ask Lord
                                        Goderic about those Kyogen and Noh texts he's been trying to work on.
                                        That's *not* modern Japanese.

                                        Let me quote something as an example.

                                        Let's be specific, too, since we're talking about letters. Here's a letter
                                        in its entirety which was sent from Ieyasu to Hideyoshi who was in the
                                        midst of a campaign (my apologies to those who don't speak Japanese and
                                        can't catch why this is different):

                                        "Tsusshinde gonjou. Somosomo kondo Kishuu omote ni oite kakushuu to shite
                                        goriun no dan omowazariki ni, shojin botsuraku su. Kore mata gokenryo no
                                        hoka nari. Iyoiyo bangun genke taigen no ittou kijiku shi, tokoshinae ni
                                        tsuranatte taishi taiyou ne ni kashite chouken nari. Naozari ni rikkoku,
                                        narabi ni kitaru koto kaku no gotoshi. Jin'i wo Kyuushuu ni furui, ikioi
                                        nao moppara nari. Hatamata gokikan sottaku tsusshinde hofuku su. Yotte,
                                        kudan no tou. Sonkou sonhitsu uyamatt mousu.
                                        "Nangatsu itsuka Nanigashi
                                        "Fujiwara Hideyoshi-kou
                                        "Teishou shitatematsuru gobandokoro."

                                        The translation:

                                        "With deep respect, I report to you. Just when I did not expect you to be
                                        victorious in your present campaign in Kii province, the opponent being so
                                        persistently hostile, all enemy camps collapsed. This again is nothing but
                                        [evidence of] your wisdom. More and more, all armies have no option but to
                                        vanish before you like apparitions. Entwined for all eternity, branches and
                                        leaves become roots, healthy and strong. It happened just as easy as
                                        conquering the Six Provinces all at once. When you extend your divine might
                                        to Kyushu, your strength will become even more complete. Moreover, I
                                        prostrate myself in anticipation of the propitious occasion of your return.
                                        Thus the foregoing. With deep respect, I remain your humble servant.
                                        "Some month, some day X
                                        "Lord Fujiwara Hideyoshi
                                        "To the guardhouse that will present this letter."

                                        Does that look very modern? No desu. No gozaru. Hell, no sourou. Inflected
                                        verbs and adjectives. Honorific joshi.

                                        That's kobun showing there.

                                        If you've not had any exposure to bungo, reading or writing 16th C.
                                        Japanese won't make very much sense at all.

                                        Effingham
                                      • Kass McGann
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 5, 2000
                                          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                          > Mikazuchi Ukyo wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > With the summer months here now, and having suffered a nice
                                          facial
                                          > > sunburn from the East Kingdom War Camp day...anyone have any idea
                                          on
                                          > > where I can purchase, or preferably make some nice Japanese
                                          headwear?
                                          > > I have a late 16th century persona that is still being worked on
                                          > > heavily, but I'm dying for some shade. =)
                                          >
                                          > Well, some martial arts stores sell the conical straw hats. That's
                                          about
                                          > as close as you'll get this side of the pond. Unless you make a big
                                          > jingasa out of metal or leather and lacquer it all up.
                                          >
                                          > Effingham

                                          I personally have made a tsuboshozoku, commonly referred to as a "bug
                                          hat". Basically it's a big basket-like hat with a strange
                                          cylindrical protrusion at the center and "curtains" of silk gauze to
                                          keep the bugs (and the eyes of on-lookers) away. It ties onto the
                                          head in a way that makes it very stable. It's still rather heavy,
                                          however. But since I'm used to wearing all those Heian robes, I
                                          don't much mind a heavy hat.

                                          I highly recommend making one. Someone taught me how to basketweave
                                          and I made a reasonable replica on my first attempt.

                                          If you'd like to try it, email me privately and I'll give you some
                                          instruction. Or perhaps I'll see you at the next EK Warcamp in
                                          Eisental?

                                          Fujiwara no Aoi
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 6, 2000
                                            My apologies for not getting back to you sooner!

                                            Eva Grammer wrote:

                                            > My name is Cynwise 誥 Sceaduwode. I am joining this list due to a nine-year-old's
                                            > insatiable curiousity for all things Japanese. She wants a Japanese persona in
                                            > the SCA.

                                            { snippage }

                                            > Therefore, I have joined this list to learn how Japanese is done in the SCA.

                                            Welcome to the madhouse. Pull up a zabuton, have some sake, and sit back for the
                                            ride.

                                            > We
                                            > have done some preliminary research, and while she is interested in the Heian
                                            > period, I have real reticence about all those robes, especially in Meridies summer
                                            > heat! (read: humidity, humidity, humidity!) She already has problems dealing
                                            > with the heat as it is.

                                            Well, the japanese survived it... and in Kyoto. A more muggy and humidly icky place I
                                            have never visited. Actually, multi-layering of loose clothing is remarkably cool;
                                            more layers to catch a breeze or wick heat away or some such idea. I'm really not too
                                            clear on it.

                                            Fortunately, for kids, you don't have to deal with all those layers. If your computer
                                            can read JPEGs or GIFs, I can scan in and send you a couple of color photos of
                                            Heian-era girlchild garments. And they're really easy to make, too, being almost
                                            entirely composed of rectangles.

                                            It's possibly a bit beyond a nine-year-old, but you might want to get and read (if
                                            only for your own edification) a copy of Ivan Morris' "The World of the Shining
                                            Prince." It's starting to show its age (c. 30+ years) but it's still arguably the
                                            best popular look at Heian life and custom. It's in paperback, and you can get it
                                            from Amazon.com.

                                            > Anyway, if any gentles on the list could give me an idea of "Japanese lite" for
                                            > my daughter, I'd really appreciate it. I sew marginally well, but have not tried
                                            > anything more complicated than a T-tunic yet. I would like to get info on a
                                            > period Japanese name for her, as well as some simple garb. And who knows, she
                                            > might like it enough that she continues with the Japanese persona for the rest of
                                            > her life, you never know.

                                            You should also grab Compleat Anachronist #65, "A Japanese Miscellany" -- it's got a
                                            lot of basic info on doing Japanese in the SCA, including a section on naming
                                            patterns.

                                            Effingham
                                          • kujika@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 7, 2000
                                              Solveig this is Kuji you where kind enuff to do Tea at my camp last year , I
                                              will have Igo at war
                                            • Kass McGann
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 7, 2000
                                                --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, kujika@a... wrote:
                                                > Solveig this is Kuji you where kind enuff to do Tea at my camp last
                                                year , I
                                                > will have Igo at war

                                                Kuji! You unapologetic lurker!

                                                <in a huff>